My bread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I soak any rye, no matter how fine. Even grocery store stuff.

Try my temp method next time, would be worth trying. I think you'll be happy. I do preheat at 500, them down to 450 an hour or so. Do you preheat your Dutch?

Thanks on the fociccia. It's fun, doing something different everyday

I preheat the oven with the empty dutch oven to 500F but only give it about 10-15min at that temp, then I plop in the dough and turn it down to about 430. Maybe I should preheat longer if it makes a difference, just trying to save energy...

Stefan

Here are a couple loaves I made this weekend...

IMG_0291_zpsca7dc72d.jpg

IMG_0292_zps418cff1f.jpg

Its my own recipe. A multigrain, sweetened with honey.

A ugly pic of my mug, posing deep in though about that bread, lol.

ddee6YL.png

I will get back to that later on that. To many beers tonight

I just love bread...

We are in the same boat. I could eat bread with anything, with potatoes and with pasta. You get people staring at you when you do that? ;)

Its great we have more threads now with something edible actually made with love and care, and own hands.

Thanks a lot for motivation, The smell of fresh baked bread is just incomparable...
102_5899_zpse9cf7d6c.jpg

This was made after I read this thread, thanks very much for posting, and bring it on!

Looks great. Pierre, mind sharing your recipie. At looks yummy.

Think I have posted this before, but it's a decent picture. A PA Dutch style white

cg7LPM4.jpg

I will get it up in a day or so when I get back home. It is as good as it looks! Been tweaking it for a couple years.

I bake more than I cook these days (doesn't stop the knife acquisitions though). Here's some 10% rye/10% sourdough boules from Sunday. I'm constantly amazed that four simple ingredients can produce such a wide range of amazing food.

130324_sourdoughboules.jpg

Those loom great Don. Yeah, baking doesn't stop my knife obsession any either

Here is some of my brioche buns. They scream for a nice burger, but unfortunately we don't do burgers here...

ThFrpvn.jpg

Experimenting with different loaf pans. So far cheapo aluminum still comes out best

xEAdC9M.jpg

I've seen that TED talk. I'm so addicted to TED, lol, watch at least two a week.

I've met him before at a guild conference. He was a nice guy, smart as hell, and a good taste in beer.

Well her is the Multigrain bread I came up with. Now remember I ain't no chef!! lol!! This is how I made it and it has replaced our daily eating bread, for toast, and at meals, or in sandwiches. It is a moist, soft bread.

Pierre’s Multigrain Bread

2 Cups Porridge oat blend (oat flakes, oat bran, wheat bran, flax seeds)
½ cup minute oats
4 ½ cups multigrain flour
2/3 cup honey
½ cup canola oil
1 ½ tsp salt
4 cups hot water
Blend above with electric mixer, until thoroughly combined and elastic. Let rest/soak 4-6 hours or over night. (to soften the whole grains )
Add 1 ½ Tbsp instant yeast to 1 cup of warm water, 10 to 15 minutes. Add to dough mixture, and mix in. Let sit for an hour.
Add 4 cups All Purpose flour and knead. Turn out of board, and knead in another cup of flour (5 in total)
Knead until smooth. Place and let rise till double, punch down, form and place into bread pans.
Let rise.
Bake at 340* for 40 minutes, then 370 for 5 – 7 minutes. (for a drier bread with a harder crust, increase the temp and omit the butter/milk rub)
For a soft crust, brush with milk or butter.

Thanks, and bravo for using a soaker. Do you leave soak room temp, or in the fridge?

Nice bit of crunch to the crust. Lunch was a couple of slices of Irish cheddar on the end slices, tomorrow for lunch I think I'll try an entry in the grilled cheese thread with a couple of slices of this loaf.

Looks good Reed. I haven't played around with the ceramic balls and pellets you sent me yet, but will definitely let you know when I do. I haven't been baking at home recently, been to busy with work, it's getting into brew fest season for us, and have been brewing like a madman, so home time is sleepy time, lol. Might try them tomorrow though, going to bake some bread for the Local SPCA bake sale.

Hope you get a chance to put them to good use soon. I was looking at my pie weights earlier today, thinking I need to get onto a pie. Reminds me that its almost rhubarb season. Rhubarb and apple, that's my favorite, unless its cherry.

I have tried to make it in your own way but not succeed ,so can you post video about your recipe,I would like to know all about the process.:hungry:

Does anybody have a good recommendation for cheap baking vessels for no knead bread? I don't really want to use my Creuset.

Big clay flower pot and the base. Base on the bottom, flower pot upside town overtop. I used two big washers and a bolt hand tight to fill the big hole in the bottom of the pot. I'll try to remember to post pics tomorrow. Costs less than 15$ at lowes

I do use my nicer Staub Dutch once in a while too, just use parchment and you'll be fine. Can't even tell I use it for bread. The parchment keeps the burnt flour from blackening the enamel.

I think that my 9qt Creuset is too big. I don't have any smaller ones nor do I care to pay current prices anyways. Thanks for the parchment lining suggestion though Jmadams13. The flower pot idea is intriguing too.

What do you think about the pre-seasoned 5qt Lodge cast iron dutch ovens?

Use a few everyday at the bistro for high hydration no knead "like" doughs. Perfectly fine. I use them at home too for things other than bread

Been lacking updating this thread. I've been "experimenting" lately with a few new wild yeast cultures, so expect a lot soon.

I keep seeing the term "Hydration" 70%, 80%. What is this referring to? Obviously a ratio, but to what? 80% fluid? That seems like a lot... Would someone mind sharing either here, or PM a no knead recipe, and take the time to break it down for me hoe the %hydration is calculated or achieved? I know these recipes are mostly by weight, I don't have a kitchen scale, so a volume approximation would be invaluable.

Thanks guys.

Back