My Carter Arrived!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Reaction score
The Carter is hanging quite nicely next to my Fujiwara FKH petty, and Misono Moly gyuto (240 Misono and Konosuke don't fit on my rack!)
I'll give you a quick review in a couple days, but my question is this...do I ride out the edge put on by Murray, and use it until it actually needs sharpening, or do I make it mine, and go king stone (à la Murray, wet/dry, 6k suita on it? I must say, the edge OOTB is insane. I think it's the most aggressive edge I've felt on a knife (Pierre's factory edge was close, but this thing is nuts!)
What would you guys do?
Here's the obligatory pic, taken on my phone, in poor lighting.

d93b5692.jpg

Use the OOTB edge for a while, and then put your own edge on it...
Or, if you really want to go nuts, sharpen half the knife, and then compare your half against what MC put on it.

Handle question for ya, and this isn't a slam on MC's work, but this photo reminded me that the top of wa handles are really kinda... open. Does this bother any of you that like the wa handles? And, does the health department in many of your East Coast restaurants have any problem with this? Just curious.
-M

Handle question for ya, and this isn't a slam on MC's work, but this photo reminded me that the top of wa handles are really kinda... open. Does this bother any of you that like the wa handles? And, does the health department in many of your East Coast restaurants have any problem with this? Just curious.
-M

I've never seen a health inspector look, glance at or inspect any knives. They have too many other things to be looking for, and each one doesnt even look for the same stuff as the others. It is like they all cover the big items/basics, and then pick a few more things to check for. Like I had one inspector who would always check the inside of the finger wells you use to open drawers and coolers, and I have never had another inspector even seem to notice that stuff.

It does bother a lot of people. Many makers, particularly on their higher end lines, seal those opening with epoxy. I prefer them not to be sealed with epoxy and to seal them with beeswax so they can be removed when the knife needs a full polish. The "entry level" lines that Murray sells have handles more like this - his high grade series are epoxied and/or otherwise sealed.

Yup, what Joe said!
It bugs the hell out of me, but I'm going to seal it with beeswax until I get a new handle on there.
It's useable for the time being, but it's oversized, plain and awfully utilitarian.
I still couldn't pass it up!

Interesting. What does yours say between the Carter and the W? A friend and I just got in twin 240's and they are both missing that stuff and one is about 30% thicker than the other.. Is that the SFGZ line? Ours also appear to have deeper hammer marks, esp the thick one. I guess that makes sense...

-M

It bothers me big time. That is why I like the hidden tangs used by the knife makers here. It just looks cleaner and more finished.

Congratulations Lefty, I can't wait to read your review.

sharpness test videos! :)

I'll see what I can do, tomorrow. The edge is still untouched, so I'll tomato test it against "my lazer" and a recognized lazer (Konosuke white 2).
Thanks for the idea!

Tinh, it is the SFGZ line. Yours is much more impressive, I'm sure!
In the book that you get with a Carter, he touches on the fact that other than his 'muteki' line no two shPes will be identical, as a result how he forges his knives. That would explain the difference between yours and your friend's knives.

Holy mother!
Congrats! I was going to have that knife, but you snapped it before my eyes! :)
I think you should hold on the ootb edge. No point of doing anything with it unless you have to :)

Love it and cant wait for the review! Damn its fun to read about a knife that a fellow member likes so much. Congrats :)

...no two shPes will be identical, as a result how he forges his knives. That would explain the difference between yours and your friend's knives.
I get that anything hand made is going to vary but 15% (sorry, not 30%) is a lot no matter how you cut it. Anyway, I'm still feeling unspecial about the maker's mark... :cry:

Yup, what Joe said!
It bugs the hell out of me, but I'm going to seal it with beeswax until I get a new handle on there.
It's useable for the time being, but it's oversized, plain and awfully utilitarian.
I still couldn't pass it up!

Wait till you see the tang on that thing. :Ooooh: The spine over the heel is typically 1/8" thinner than the tang (long and narrow) for ease of installing a handle, hence an oversize tang hole. So, to have a clean handle installation (custom handle that is), you need to grind a tang down and while you have the handle off, you might as well round (and often re-grind) the machi. It should take minutes on a grinder, so it makes me wonder why doesn't Murray do this himself? That and 120grit finish on practically all lines of knives (buffed subsequently). Even his high end knives show mediocre finish.

M

Yeah, this line confuses me a fair bit, but I wanted to see what the blade was all about.
Hopefully I get to the tomato test today, but I have a lot of running around to do. It might end up being tomorrow!
Here's a pic for Tinh and OD, as per special request ;)

faeb47ee.jpg

Very nice, and again awesome cutting board.

i hate his prices and handles but his knives are awesome and ill include his neckers which somehow cost way more then most kitchen knives.

anywho live it up and dull that thing so you can sharpen it because all of his steel is on the easier side to sharpen. thats one of my favorite facts about murray is that its a pleasure to sharpen his knives.

Hate his prices?! His knives are cheaper than hell, that's one thing I respect him for, is keeping his cutlery within reach for the regular guy. A line cook from any restaurant could buy a Carter with the money from one weekend of service.

Congrats, I look forward to the review as well. I've never actually used a Carter, I hope to soon!

Hate his prices?! His knives are cheaper than hell, that's one thing I respect him for, is keeping his cutlery within reach for the regular guy. A line cook from any restaurant could buy a Carter with the money from one weekend of service.

Congrats, I look forward to the review as well. I've never actually used a Carter, I hope to soon!
+1

This is all I got through, after sharpening up 3 other knives and NOT touching the Carter.
It seems to be a great little cutter, but I haven't had time to give it a real work out.
This video could have been more exciting, but I'm a busy guy! Haha. You can really see how sharp it comes OOTB on the first slice and the very last slice. I likely should have taken longer slices with the knife, but you should get the idea from this.
5077f592.mp4

Ok guys, I've had the Carter for a few days and I've given it a pretty solid workout.
So far, I'm in love with this knife! I'm so impressed with its cutting ability that I have even overlooked the terrible handle. To be honest, I'm not sure if I have been overlooking the handle, or just honestly not noticing it.
As far as performance is concerned, it's an A++! Every item I've cut, I've just flown through.
For a smaller knife, it has a great amount of flat in the blade (3+ inches or so), that lends itself beautifully to push cutting. I haven't gotten "stuck" in anything, my accuracy has gone up in my cuts and the blade is holding its edge really well.
It's impressing me so much that I wish I had a "big knife " by Carter.
Really, there isn't much to say other than, "The handle sucks, but who cares! You'll likely enjoy using it and love the blade so much, you'll rehandle it when you can".
Enough said (?) :D

Pretty much. Definitely agree on all counts.

Back