My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snakewood dragon fire! @birdsfan

1 - Misono Patina - Right Side.jpg

2 - Misono Patina - Right Side w HANDLE.jpg

That Swedish carbon is surprisingly reactive. Looks like a rainbow!

Oldest trick in the book: just sliced a couple pounds of cooked chicken breast at peak temp out the oven, then rinsed in hot water. Pics were taken with the stock/default setting on my phone, no "mode" or filter and zero editing or enhancements 😍

A look at my failed coffee patina on a y tanaka damascus before I remove it. Tried to leave it as long as possible but I just could not get an even patina, or get it really dark. I was able to get a pitch black coffee patina on a similar w1 from tf that looks like it was drawn on by a sharpie. Not sure what the difference was. Tbh I considered even dumping I'm some white vinegar to the mix bit at this point I'm just gonna scratch it with some comet/barkeep and try to start over with a natural patina and be more patient this time. I did a nattie patina at first but it wasn't taking that great.

Attachments

• 20240611_201105.jpg
    20240611_201105.jpg
    1,004.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240611_200914.jpg
    20240611_200914.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240611_200902.jpg
    20240611_200902.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Nice. His knives are not very reactive. This looks great man.
He etches a lot of his stuff to better show the cladding detail, but if you remove the etch you should get some decent patina from wrought clad.

A look at my failed coffee patina on a y tanaka damascus before I remove it. Tried to leave it as long as possible but I just could not get an even patina, or get it really dark. I was able to get a pitch black coffee patina on a similar w1 from tf that looks like it was drawn on by a sharpie. Not sure what the difference was. Tbh I considered even dumping I'm some white vinegar to the mix bit at this point I'm just gonna scratch it with some comet/barkeep and try to start over with a natural patina and be more patient this time. I did a nattie patina at first but it wasn't taking that great.
How did you apply the etching fluid? For even application, you can fill up a tall skinny container and put the whole blade in (if you haven’t done that already)

How did you apply the etching fluid? For even application, you can fill up a tall skinny container and put the whole blade in (if you haven’t done that already)
Yeah I used a tall container and left completely submerged. We'll, up to the neck which was as high as I could fill it. I'm not sure what went wrong but i just could not get an even finish. Seeing as the damascus was etched on that's probably it for the damascus finish too. May use it as a project knife to toy around with kasumi finishes. I don't wanna thin it though since I like the feel and how it cuts.

Try etch -> light sanding/steel wool -> etch -> light sanding/steel wool.
Repeat as necessary.

You don't need to sand very much. A little goes a long way with this.

Back