My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_3076.jpeg

IMG_3078.jpeg

Maillet wrought twist Damascus blues after a few meal preps

And first dark colors after cutting a cake yesterday.. I don't expected that the patina will darken from the cake 🤔
Was the cake still hot? Plenty of acid in cake, possibly protein too. I'm still not sure if protein specifically is more reactive than other acids but hot meats give crazy reactions.

The cake was from the fridge with a lot of sugars :) was really strange reaction, but kind of like it.. now it looks like the real age of the knife (around 20 yo, I buy it from JNS new old stock).

Is it possible for acid (say from cutting the flesh of a grapefruit) to strip or ‘erase’ a patina on soft iron cladding? In the photos here, you’ll see circled in blue what some remaining patina, which is a good representation of what it was like in the area circled in red, which is now almost back to the way that it looked without a patina at all!

Attachments

• BD9D7A4E-2755-4668-B581-F8431DEEF7EF.jpeg
    BD9D7A4E-2755-4668-B581-F8431DEEF7EF.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • AA1AD52D-7A70-4323-A3C3-5A1C30574455.jpeg
    AA1AD52D-7A70-4323-A3C3-5A1C30574455.jpeg
    1,012.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 15220DC3-A886-4292-A04C-9F21203AC651.jpeg
    15220DC3-A886-4292-A04C-9F21203AC651.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Is it possible for acid (say from cutting the flesh of a grapefruit) to strip or ‘erase’ a patina on soft iron cladding? In the photos here, you’ll see circled in blue what some remaining patina, which is a good representation of what it was like in the area circled in red, which is now almost back to the way that it looked without a patina at all!
Definitely. I wiped one out with limes.

(add) now all my citrus duty is done with AEB-L or similar.

I’ve seen that happen with mangoes. Soft cladding and monosteel alike.

100%

I’ve seen that happen with mangoes. Soft cladding and monosteel alike.
I’ve never had this happen before, and it’s not the first time I’ve cut up acidic fruit…
Definitely. I wiped one out with limes.

(add) now all my citrus duty is done with AEB-L or similar.
Sounds like a good plan. I’ll need a citrus / fruit knife. I usually use my isamitsu (stainless clad) petty but the grapefruit was enormous, almost melon-esque. This is the patina thread, so I’ll take this stainless business elsewhere.

Ya I usually reset my patina with hot lemons, it takes off most it then finish off with some Flitz, makes a much faster reset that way.

Back