My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome looking forgie....I can't seem to get my camera to capture the patina on my carbon though. How do you guys setup the light/position the camera?

My experience is that you need a more diffuse light source (like window without direct sunlight) and keep the surface at an angle against it. Some under-exposure helps too (since the blade is usually quite reflective it may get 'blown out' look easily).

My experience is that you need a more diffuse light source (like window without direct sunlight) and keep the surface at an angle against it. Some under-exposure helps too (since the blade is usually quite reflective it may get 'blown out' look easily).

OK. I'll play around with this and see what I can get. thanks!

Blue really is a nice color:

IMG_5505_cropJPG_zpsaa2086df.jpg

And instructions from Matus re spot on! Diffuse light and under exposure!

I haven't been around in a while, but recently acquired a new cooking vessel, so thought I'd show it off with some knives in their glory.

Patina-1 by twillightkids, on Flickr

Patina-3 by twillightkids, on Flickr

Top to bottom: Konosuke 180 wa-petty, White #2, Mizuno Tanrenjo Akitada Hontanren 270 wa-gyuto, Blue core san mai, and Griswold "Erie" No. 10, second series, c. 1886-1892

Nice pics Joe, and good to see you round these parts again.

Thanks! Unfortunately, this is one of those places where if you aren't in the market to buy and you continue hanging around, you will be in the market to buy soon. I couldn't afford another knife/stone/handle/etc./etc. so I gave it up for a while.

Which brings about a question; the bug is hitting me and I need a suji. Wanted a Masamoto KS suji for a while, but wondering what new things might be lurking out there in the last couple of years? I can already feel the money draining away...

Thanks! Unfortunately, this is one of those places where if you aren't in the market to buy and you continue hanging around, you will be in the market to buy soon. I couldn't afford another knife/stone/handle/etc./etc. so I gave it up for a while.

Which brings about a question; the bug is hitting me and I need a suji. Wanted a Masamoto KS suji for a while, but wondering what new things might be lurking out there in the last couple of years? I can already feel the money draining away...

Heh, I'm in the same boat. Currently I'm leaning heavily towards a 300mm Watanabe. Highly impressed with his work overall, but his heat treat is really outstanding IMO. He seems to be experiencing a bit of a comeback lately. I wasn't on the forums 10+ years ago when he was hot, but after beating on a few of his knives in the last couple years, I now understand why he had the nods back then. BTW- I think I used to have the same Kono petty, but a 150. Is yours damn close to single bevel?

Yes. Especially since I sharpen it 99/1. As far as overall blade shape it is leaning on the right hand side. Thing is so thin though that it really is hard to say. Edge bevel is all righty, though. :doublethumbsup:

Seriously though, it's one of my favorite and most used blades. My knife rotation has really dropped down to the petty, the gyuto, and a 195 deba I use for butchering. I really have no need of any other blade, which is another reason I've disappeared. I sold my only slicer a while back, but now I'm wanting another, thus the suji. Reminds me, I need to wander off and look at Konsuke sujis.

/wanders away hazily

I have had this Kochi magaki 240mm blue #2 for a fun test drive for a couple of weeks already. Blue patina has been slowly building up, so now it is time for the patina thread.

20150315_082110.jpg

20150315_082052.jpg

Stop screaming, Jon.

10" Forgecraft Chef after cutting some raw chicken breast. Raw and cooked meats seem to give the best colored patinas.
68FAA40F-51C7-4FDA-9FBD-6ECDEB5885AF_zpspeotvjmp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sushi grade tuna lets off a SWEET blue tint, too bad I don't have my knife handy

ive just navigated through the entire thread- great knives great patina. Glad i finally found this forum, Id post some of my own but not aloud to link photos!

keep em coming..

cheers
mike

Will coagulated blood work as well as fresh for a patina? It's much easier to find, most chinatown markets will have it. Fresh blood, I'd have to find a slaughterhouse probably.

Tanaka
399758.jpeg

This was after cutting 20 sides of salmon.

lobby, just curious...how durable is that patina for you? i've found that bright colors like that on my Kono Fuji tend to wash away pretty quickly.

Back