My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Korpulentny

Reaction score
My very first Japanese gyuto and second japanese knife Wakui Migaki 240 from EpicEdge. I really wanted a knife with reactive steel cause looking at this thread how could I not, but was a bit afraid of fully reactive cladding so I went with w2 core and ss cladding Wakui. After cutting up some grilled chicken I can see the blue that I wanted but surprisingly the cladding also developed some patina and I really don't know if I should be concerned. No that I have a problem with its development, just more curious than anything else.

Attachments

Kristoffer

Reaction score
My very first Japanese gyuto and second japanese knife Wakui Migaki 240 from EpicEdge. I really wanted a knife with reactive steel cause looking at this thread how could I not, but was a bit afraid of fully reactive cladding so I went with w2 core and ss cladding Wakui. After cutting up some grilled chicken I can see the blue that I wanted but surprisingly the cladding also developed some patina and I really don't know if I should be concerned. No that I have a problem with its development, just more curious than anything else.
Lovely knife! It does seem strange that you get a patina on the (supposedly) stainless sides though...?

valgard

Stones Addict (terminal case)
Reaction score
Sorry, mis- posted - wanted to know more about kochi - who makes it, what kind of steel, looks great and specs are impressive, along with price point
Kochi is one of the knife lines at JKI. The machi is a modification for this particular model in which the "neck" is wider than it usually is for this maker and region in general.
Steel on these is V2.

RockyBasel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kochi is one of the knife lines at JKI. The machi is a modification for this particular model in which the "neck" is wider than it usually is for this maker and region in general.
Steel on these is V2.
Perfect. Thanks for illuminating- I presume it’s from Sanjo?

MowgFace

Reaction score
Right? That's what I thought. Maybe I'll contact the folks at EpicEdge and ask about it
Remember that Stainless is not stainPROOF. Stainless claddings have been known to show slight patina's. I cannot recall if my wakui Migaki has shown any, but the stainless cladding on my Wakui Nashiji cladding is for sure patina-ed.

Latest posts