My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

BillHanna

5.99/mo or 60USD/yr
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_4083.jpeg
IMG_4084.jpeg

Reaction score
Patina reset on my Manaka B1. Been a minute since i’ve used this knife. View attachment 242667 View attachment 242668
I am about to receive my first full carbon blade. Please tell me how you did this? How do you get those amazing blues and reds? My blade will be a damascus patters and I want those colors and not the usual gray/black. Also, how did you remove the old patina?

Reaction score
1 knife April making me miss playing with my other knives and putting patina. Pretty much stuck with my Togashi B1 until end of the month. Well here’s the most recent patina since I stripped the old one off. View attachment 237399
How did you strip the patina from the Tanaka x Kyuzo, and what did you do to get that great blue color?

itzjustchris1

I love Blue 1 and Ginsan
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am about to receive my first full carbon blade. Please tell me how you did this? How do you get those amazing blues and reds? My blade will be a damascus patters and I want those colors and not the usual gray/black. Also, how did you remove the old patina?
I just cut a lot of Onions and rinse down with hot water. For faster reactivity cut some hot protein like steaks.

Reaction score
Hey, blue is blue right? Apparently even stainless can acquire a patina when your better half uses it to cut something on a tray in the oven, somehow loses it under the pizza steel for 2-3 months and it doesn’t get found until the steel is removed to deep clean the oven. No, I refuse to question any of that for my sanity thank you very much.

I had no idea chinesium knives could end up with WORSE edge retention somehow 🤪

Attachments

• IMG_3949.jpeg
    IMG_3949.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Reaction score
Stripped the patina off my Maza Komorebi before refinishing with 2k sandpaper + stone powder to knock back the migaki polish a bit.

I think we’ve all been guilty of a little bit of editing ‘embellishment’ to bring out the blues on this thread, so I include a video for proof of authenticity :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_7760.jpeg
    IMG_7760.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7759.jpeg
    IMG_7759.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7761.mov
    21.5 MB

tostadas

Hobbyist / Craftsman
Reaction score
Stripped the patina off my Maza Komorebi before refinishing with 2k sandpaper + stone powder to knock back the migaki polish a bit.

I think we’ve all been guilty of a little bit of editing ‘embellishment’ to bring out the blues on this thread, so I include a video for proof of authenticity :cool:
Yea I can confirm the Komorebi examples I had were all very reactive. Good in that the blues come out very vividly, but on the downside, they were quick to get those little spots once you set it down for just a short bit.

Reaction score
Yea I can confirm the Komorebi examples I had were all very reactive. Good in that the blues come out very vividly, but on the downside, they were quick to get those little spots once you set it down for just a short bit.
How close were they to that Mazaki hon san mai that you just finished the full spa treatment on, though?

tostadas

Hobbyist / Craftsman
Reaction score
In the way that the whispers implying Naoki is making this line for hatsukokoro
Besides length and height dimensions, I find almost no similarity between the two. Grind is way different, profile is different, spine taper is different, tang and machi shape/proportions/construction are different.

Reaction score
Besides length and height dimensions, I find almost no similarity between the two. Grind is way different, profile is different, spine taper is different, tang and machi shape/proportions/construction are different.
I would definitely take @tostadas views over mine, there are some superficial resemblances though imo.

Don’t buy a Komorebi for a Mazaki grind though, they’re worlds apart.

Attachments

• IMG_7668.jpeg
    IMG_7668.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0