My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lobby, just curious...how durable is that patina for you? i've found that bright colors like that on my Kono Fuji tend to wash away pretty quickly.

I cut mostly raw protein with this knife and I find that the patina is pretty durable in the sense that it will never wash away, but i think it can change somewhat frequently.

My 215mm Kato Workhorse.

WP_20150429_16_33_12_Pro.jpg

I was periodically wiping the blade while using it and it was cleaned immediately after. Although the iron cladding is not that reactive while cutting fish so i can leave it for a few minutes without developing any rust. Actually I think the salmon is oily enough that it probably wouldnt rust if it left it dirty.

I was periodically wiping the blade while using it and it was cleaned immediately after. Although the iron cladding is not that reactive while cutting fish so i can leave it for a few minutes without developing any rust. Actually I think the salmon is oily enough that it probably wouldnt rust if it left it dirty.

I once accidentally left my Kato Workhorse covered in salmon gunk for around 40 minutes after cleaning and cutting up a whole fish. I kinda panicked when I came back into the kitchen and saw it, but the knife was fine. Not even a change in the patina.

Jim started this thread 3/2011

• Replies: 490
  • Views: 133,839

Looks like Jim isn't the only one who's favorite color is BLUE :thumbsup:

Cool, it is going to you. It is a very nice Shig wa-kitaeji. Quite a bit bigger than other Shig wa gyutos I have seen (~6 in persons, and a few more with just spec of weight, height, spine thickness etc). At 50mm tall, 5mm spine thickness, and 213g, it is not at big as Noborikoi which is 55, 4, 240. I have been cutting and cooking with it this week to see if I have to do any much to it. It still cuts beautifully as I recalled. You should be happy when it lands in Canada.

Many thanks for helping to 'tune-up" the Shig! I'm really looking forward to it.

Last time I bought the the 240mm Noborikoi based on your recommendation and is enjoying it tremendously. It just cuts beautifully. Too bad the choil area got chipped when I got a custom saya made for it locally :(.

245g2tx.jpg

Fresh steel peeking through the patina on my GG 240 w2 after polishing up the edge on a naniwa 10k. This look is one of my favorite little things about owning a carbon. Been using this knife pretty regularly for a couple months now, haven't felt the need to actually sharpen it. A little loss of that crazy sharpness now and then but it seems to spring right back with just a few passes followed by stropping, all on a high grit stone. I would say that the steel seems to be quite resilient. One of these days I'll actually sharpen it, but until then . . . :thumbsup:

Just got a misono gyuto, no dragon. He it is after prep of one hamachi and one tuna loin.

370fb4.jpeg

the previous owner cleaned off most of the old patina, but you can still see some striations that didnt go away

Just got a misono gyuto, no dragon. He it is after prep of one hamachi and one tuna loin.

370fb4.jpeg

the previous owner cleaned off most of the old patina, but you can still see some striations that didnt go away

Looks nice, I feel like an idiot for forcing a patina on my Misonos after seeing this. I guess I bought into the fear mongering that they'll rust if you simply look at them wrong. I still am waiting on my 240 gyuto with dragon so maybe I'll do it proper this time… doing a lot of acidic veg kinda makes me think twice though.

My misono patina crazy fast but would never rust just turn grey which turned into a real stable patina. And that's when I wasn't 100% into proper carbon care.

UZyGCB5.jpg

I just forced a patina with mustard and vinegar. Is this a stabile patina or not?

Not...I'd hit the orange/red spots with a bit of steel wool and go back to it again (or just start using the knife)...as noted, stable is usually dark gray, bright colors indicate a lack of stability. Orange and red are indicators of rust...

Back