My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Toyama 210mm gyuto...

Patina-Toyama210.jpg

be careful !!! When its super-humid, fingerprint-oil (pinch grip) may trap a bit
of humidity under it, so if you don't get it off right away,
the patina can change from stable to unstable oxidation.
Ask me how I know :(

an exercise on patina and different steels, mostly pork loin and onions

Love the variation of blue on each steel

Mizuno honyaki white 2
CJA honyaki
And Rader W2 differently hardened so I guess it’s a version of “honyaki”...

LRG_DSC00445.jpg
LRG_DSC00446.jpg
LRG_DSC00450.jpg

No filter

Last edited:
This is not forged geometry I am waiting on from Will, still waiting on that one. I’ve had this one for a bit. It is O1 workhorse convex type grind, 4mm spine at the heel, 232x48mm blade. I like it very much, it feels very powerful.

i tried reloading many time but unfortunately i am unable to see any pictures.

Specs, how it cuts, and what made you choose that one over others?

I don't have the exact specs with me (at work and can't find the info on it) but I seem to recall it's 305mm long, 55mm tall. Heel and middle of the blade are perfection. Tips is slightly thick for things like slicing onions but still does a good job; just not perfect. Handle is coke bottle ebony (Ashi standard) with nickel silver bolster.

Again, if i recall it's like 3mm on the spine above the heel which is thicker than my 270 for sure and not inline with what he made for konosuke but wasn't uncommon for what he did for other stores or his own brand. Distal taper is pretty good, hardness is very nice and it's some of the easiest steel for sharpening. At 1k the steel is very very toothy and probably my sharpest knife at this level. I typically push them higher than that but really like it for certain tasks.

It's a fantastic all around knife with surprisingly good food release, amazing in hand feel, perfect balance, just pure love.

I bought it on a whim and just fell in love with it. Not sure if i can add anything to that (again writing at work) but hope that helps you understand my love with it.

Yea watermelon turned an old kato I had to a nice shade of blue

Wow, that’s some intense color. I didn’t know watermelon would do that. Will have to give it a try. Looking good!

I didn’t either ha, I rarely take pictures of patina but this one was such a clean blue I had to.

I didn’t either ha, I rarely take pictures of patina but this one was such a clean blue I had to.

How many watermelons did you cut, or how long did it sit on the blade? I tried a watermelon today and didn’t get anything

How many watermelons did you cut, or how long did it sit on the blade? I tried a watermelon today and didn’t get anything

4-5 melons into cubes for an appetizer, don’t know how long it was sitting on it but let’s say 30-45 min?

Hiromoto honyaki gyuto after slicing some pork and dicing some onion and tomatos. I like how the patina brings out the banding

First task for the new konosuke Fuji kiritsuke gyuto was to slice 120 pieces of snapper for bites

Attachments

• 8F7DA97F-5E7D-44B8-BEC3-D38889F0C10E.jpeg
    8F7DA97F-5E7D-44B8-BEC3-D38889F0C10E.jpeg
    31 KB · Views: 162
  • 51824DDC-81E4-4B42-95FE-382142CC98BB.jpeg
    51824DDC-81E4-4B42-95FE-382142CC98BB.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 167
  • 4F4F74B8-BE2F-47EB-BE17-A65E6D2475A0.jpeg
    4F4F74B8-BE2F-47EB-BE17-A65E6D2475A0.jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 165
Thinned and removed the ku finish on my Mazaki, so what better way to patina it than with some steak :)

vYLIJjY.jpg

9y7aiTJ.jpg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    454.4 KB · Views: 109
  • image.png
    image.png
    728.9 KB · Views: 123
Back