My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh no haha I found this info digging up afterwards. I bought this off of eBay for like 5 euros. It's now my favorite knife and the one I use the most at work.

I love those histories: when good knives are bought in terrible condition for virtually no money at all, and then brought back to life. My dearest category of knives.

Ikazuchi 240mm (Sorry for the poor quality capture. There's lots of lovely blue/red/purple)

Attachments

• 20190915_140518.jpg
    20190915_140518.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 146
forced hot vinegar patina on a Arthur Lapostat Knife, wanted to make hamon stunning ad i'm happy with it
lapostatetched.jpg

hi! This is my shirogami steel knife with iron clad. Before this prep was without this two orange spot.
Is this rust or patina?
I cut only a red chili pepper and a couple of onions... it’s smooth I can’t feel it with the fingers

hi! This is my shirogami steel knife with iron clad. Before this prep was without this two orange spot.
Is this rust or patina?
I cut only a red chili pepper and a couple of onions... it’s smooth I can’t feel it with the fingers
That's patina. Same thing happened to me this morning on shirogami #2 after cutting a red onion. Cut up some more white or yellow onions and watch the blues pop.

That's patina. Same thing happened to me this morning on shirogami #2 after cutting a red onion. Cut up some more white or yellow onions and watch the blues pop.

thanks, the onions cut were yellow. Next time I’ll cut more and see. it was so fast because I think last time I removed some spot of rust with the eraser and there the steel was cleaner than the Kasumi finish. Is it possible? I know I messed up the finish but it’s a tool and I prefer an uneven finish over a rusted knife.
This is my first with iron clad and I’m a newbie

I think patina color depends on the iron cladding too. I tried cutting a bunch of proteins with one knife, hoping to get a blue patina but it kept turning out purple/ orange. On another I cut lots of onions straight off the bat and it keeps getting bluer and nicer.

Question: does different kasumi finish (therefore, the stone used to create said finish) affect how a knife would patina?

Garlic can give a reddish/orange (sort of blood like, even) color on some steels. I'd say finish would affect speed of patina, not so much the color. I've never done any side by side comparison though.

Latest posts

Back