My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSCN2169.JPG
DSCN2172.JPG
A36 steel with a high carbon edge.
View media item 31554View media item 31555

Last edited:
First time posting pictures here, trying to figure it out. Thanks

Please let me know when you can.

I put my pictures into a media album and apparently it is private. Any help on how to change that?

Last edited:
First time posting pictures here, trying to figure it out. Thanks

Please let me know when you can.

I put my pictures into a media album and apparently it is private. Any help on how to change that?

You can also “Upload a File”, without making an album. The button’s at the bottom of the box when I’m writing a post. Upload a jpeg and then insert the full image into the post.

Suien VC? Ginga in W#2?

I actually do have a Misono Swedish Carbon - sits at my cottage and it has a forced patina (general use knife so it gets left wet on occasion). Not a fave due to the balance behind the pinch.

Within the last month I was looking at the Ginga W2 as a new laser. Went out of stock at blueway and then found a Kono HD2 for basically the same price so bought that instead. It's getting a few patina marks already, but nothing to post about as it's just grey.

My basic rule is that a knife has to fit on my rack - if it doesn't, something has to go. The only exception is my suji as it won't fit under the cabinets on the rack. So right now a new knife has to displace something else, so my choice is done carefully.

Don't have a good spot for another one. And I also don't have the collector spirit. For something like knives, it's gotta be used or it gets moved. Drive me nuts to look a knife that doesn't get used, so limiting the rack is a good thing.

My new Toyama Dami from the recent JNS sale. Decided to patina up the edge section first to test the waters, not sure if I want to patina up the Dami cladding yet.

3NFVnZw.jpg

View attachment 76491

What's the point in intentionally putting patina only on the core? The damascus is going to patina as soon as you start using it, no? I mean, it looks like it already has in places.

I think to get a favorable/ controllable patina, vs random. I wouldn't do it, but I've seen some vinegar dunks that have come out great looking. Love that deep blue..

My new Toyama Dami from the recent JNS sale. Decided to patina up the edge section first to test the waters, not sure if I want to patina up the Dami cladding yet.

3NFVnZw.jpg

View attachment 76491

It’s only a matter of time...don’t resist the patina. It’s gorgeous on the edge. Why wouldn’t the cladding be? Life’s too short not to use...I say go for it.

It’s only a matter of time...don’t resist the patina. It’s gorgeous on the edge. Why wouldn’t the cladding be? Life’s too short not to use...I say go for it.

The dami cladding may patina differently than the core steel, may not be the blue color, & it’s got a beautiful Kasumi finish right now, not sure I want to mess with it yet.

My first Japanese knife was an Suminagashi,#1 Kitaoka deba (210mm) and really, Its such amazing steel it ruined me for ever really wanting to mess with stainless. Of course I have an R2 just to... have one, but thats it. Anyway, The subtle yet profound (yes- contradiction) colors and patterns developing on the deba are without words and uncaptureable in photos. I thought I was a nut for letting it bathe in pigs blood while butchering a pork shoulder. Quite a relief to find i'm just like the rest of you!!!! It would be worth noting how long a good natural patina takes to form if keeping your knife consistently clean and dry... at least on my deba

My most favored patina is one that comes from use. Forced patinas always look forced. :)

My knife don’t get used enough, it’ll take a year if I wait for natural Patina. To me, that’s a hobby life time as I’ve been in this hobby for one year.

Life is to short to sit around & wait ;)

Back