My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well used, well loved @Kippington honyaki.

E6BBA2C8-44BF-4614-92D1-D4455642F73E.jpeg

Last edited:
Question: Let's say that we get a new monosteel carbon and initially only cut hot proteins, mango and other stuff that tends to give a nice blue patina. We do this for a little while, until the blue patina feels fairly stable. We then proceed to cut other vegetables that tend to produce a more greyish patina, onions etc. Will the initial blue patina stand up to the greyer vegtable patina, or will the blue fade over time and turn grey?

Based upon what I've see the patina will change depending upon what you cut.

I did a hot vinegar treatment on Misono Swedish Carbon, and slowly over time the evenness of that changed as I cut different things with the knife. On my Kono Fuji FM, I got a nice blue patina with cooked beef, but that started to go away as I cut onions and other things.

Question: Let's say that we get a new monosteel carbon and initially only cut hot proteins, mango and other stuff that tends to give a nice blue patina. We do this for a little while, until the blue patina feels fairly stable. We then proceed to cut other vegetables that tend to produce a more greyish patina, onions etc. Will the initial blue patina stand up to the greyer vegtable patina, or will the blue fade over time and turn grey?
I agree I don't think it will remain. But you should still get alot of blues in a mixed use. Try it out monday 🤪

Shiro Kamo, petty 15cm
Aogami # 2 with iron clad.

I barely cook (the wife does), and the wife wants to have knives she can abuse a bit more. I'm more into sharpening and 'liking knives' then actually using them 😅
I have a Sakai Takayuki Gyuto in AUS-10 which I cherish (gift from my father), but I like the shape of a Japanese style petty (compared to European office knives, which are much smaller in height generally), so I figured that would be my next buy.
This is my first carbon knife.

I started cutting some tomatoes and while making all kinds of pictures and movies, the knife already started to get orange stains and spots. We are talking 5 minutes here! I was like 'damn, is this really what I want to get into? Rinsing a knife during prepping?'

Ofcourse it was easily destained at that point. After about 3 dinner preps (10 tomatoes, 5 unions, 2 peppers, cumcumber and springunion) the knife is looking like this:

20200908_173330.jpg

It doesn't always show. Have to look in the right angle. But there is some beautifull blue and purple, mixed with yellowish/brown collours on the iron cladding (absolutuly no rust)

No regrets at all..

Jiro #96. Chicken and veggies for dinner last night. Left arm in a sling, and the main camera on my phone is smashed so I got these using the "selfie" camera. My girlfriend walked by and laughed her ass off when she saw me trying to take these 🤣

Figured I’d post a link to a vid of the current patina on the new Yanick 242x52 gyuto. After testing it out on day one, it had blues and browns all over with different saturations. So tonight I decided to polish it all off and cut just a steak to see what the results would be. As you can see, absolutely gorgeous! Ugggggh, I’m falling in love with this knife!

for those interested ... a Togashi blue 1 Honyaki. Had a garbage polish ... mixed of 400/1000 stone ... some sand paper. I wanted to have a go on the edge before a full polish. This patina is doing about 2 hrs of Whaling on it for a 25 quart peperonata ... whipe downs only, Sharpened .. then 3 home meals.

Attachments

• 4F79A00E-B59C-4196-A597-5BE59D1B7351.jpeg
    4F79A00E-B59C-4196-A597-5BE59D1B7351.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 3AF214FD-990F-4589-9204-21608381758B.jpeg
    3AF214FD-990F-4589-9204-21608381758B.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg