My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does maintenance/cleaning a knife impact how a patina develops?

Patina is a living thing - every single time you cut something it will affect how it looks. Cut a bunch of one item and your patina may be wonderful. Cut something else the next day and it will have changed, and not always to the "better". Just part of using a carbon blade.

Last edited:
DE789B34-C2E8-4ECD-AFF2-13266D32E3BE.jpeg
1798F591-3D1C-4465-8917-D82973B5D5A4.jpeg

Loving the patina lately on this one!

Patina is a living thing - every single time you cut something it will affect how it looks. Cut a bunch of one item and your patina may be wonderful. Cut something else the next day and it will have changed, and not always to the "better". Just part of using a carbon blade.

Interesting thanks for the info!

Anytime that you do any thinning you are pretty much starting over on the patina, but that's part of the fun. Washing and towel drying doesn't effect the patina if that's what your asking. Though time in contact with the food that is causing the reaction does.

Thanks yes I was wondering mainly about washing and drying.

New Honesuki knife that I picked up for my girlfriend to use as a petty/prep/primary knife because she doesn't love big knives. Surprised to see the Patina show up after the first evening of use! She was being very diligent in keeping it clean & dry.

Tadafusa 150mm Honesuki - AS wrapped in SS w/ Nashiji finish.

Attachments

• IMG_8612.jpg
    IMG_8612.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8613.jpg
    IMG_8613.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 38
That Halcyon honyaki is so dreamy. Been wanting one for sometime now.

@Barmoley that‘s too funny about the heel patina. I always catch myself on this and make a concentrated effort to adjust my cutting so as to paint the heel in hopes of an even blue hue. It hardly ever works for me though. I’ll forget that I’m doing it mid prepping.

That Halcyon honyaki is so dreamy. Been wanting one for sometime now.

@Barmoley that‘s too funny about the heel patina. I always catch myself on this and make a concentrated effort to adjust my cutting so as to paint the heel in hopes of an even blue hue. It hardly ever works for me though. I’ll forget that I’m doing it mid prepping.
Well, same goes for me. I’ve used the HF for a while with several vegetables which had little to no effect. The current patina comes from cutting 2 pork steaks... I’ve done probably 6 cuts through the meat, that was it! Cooked protein is the way to go!

Back