My favorite color is USED .......the unvarnished patina thread!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my wife's favorite knife: Misono 180 gyuto. I like this little guy, too!
20190921_163140.jpeg
20190921_163155.jpeg

Wow, that looks really really cool! Perhaps it even deserves to be in that other patina thread where knives look good :rolleyes:

Thanks! I fear that the crosshatch looking pattern might be a small patch of rust though... Feta cheese is apparently quite salty :eek:

Hey pals! I'm a soon-to-be Japanese knife owner. I've got the pictured knife in the mail, a Shinko Seilan ironclad AS 210 gyuto by Shiro Kamo. I'm wondering what your thoughts on starting and maintaining a healthy patina are for me. I'm fastidious with any necessary upkeep. I'd like to have a naturally born patina that is healthy for the steel- not necessarily anything purposefully absurd or patterned. Thanks for all of your input, everybody!
tapatalk_1577809706266.jpeg

Hey pals! I'm a soon-to-be Japanese knife owner. I've got the pictured knife in the mail, a Shinko Seilan ironclad AS 210 gyuto by Shiro Kamo. I'm wondering what your thoughts on starting and maintaining a healthy patina are for me. I'm fastidious with any necessary upkeep. I'd like to have a naturally born patina that is healthy for the steel- not necessarily anything purposefully absurd or patterned. Thanks for all of your input, everybody!View attachment 67784

Nice knife. Keep it dry after use and don’t overdo things. [emoji41][emoji16]

Hey pals! I'm a soon-to-be Japanese knife owner. I've got the pictured knife in the mail, a Shinko Seilan ironclad AS 210 gyuto by Shiro Kamo. I'm wondering what your thoughts on starting and maintaining a healthy patina are for me. I'm fastidious with any necessary upkeep. I'd like to have a naturally born patina that is healthy for the steel- not necessarily anything purposefully absurd or patterned. Thanks for all of your input, everybody!View attachment 67784

Nice looking knife!

Cutting hot, juicy cooked meats seem to have been a successful “recipe” for a nice blueish patina for many?

I mostly cut veggies; tomatoes, onions, peppers etc. and that’s mainly yielded brownish patina so far.

Last edited:
Nice looking knife!

Cutting hot, juicy cooked meats seem to have been a successful “recipe” for a nice blueish patina for many?

I mostly cut veggies; tomatoes, onions, peppers etc. and that’s mainly yielded brownish patina so far.
Much appreciated!

I'll keep you folks in the loop and post pics on arrival and then after some juicage!

Back