My favorite color is USED .......the unvarnished patina thread!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was touch and go. One moment the squid had the upper hand, the next moment I cut off its upper tentacle. Then the squid wrapped itself around my neck, thinking that I wouldn’t be brave enough to swing my knife in that direction, but I persevered, cutting with the conviction that if by chance I should sever my artery, at the least the patina would be worthy of this thread. In the end, the squid was vanquished and I emerged victorious, my blade tattooed with a souvenir of the battle.

Vintage Forgecraft boning knife.
20200518_151714.jpg

While digging through some of the “rubble” left from having recently moved to a house (you know, those last few boxes that really never get unpacked...) I found an old sheath knife that hasn’t seen the light of day in a long while. It’s not a kitchen knife I know, but i thought it fit quite well into this thread anyway. I’m surprised the leather and wood has held up as nice as it has, considering the time in storage.

I’ll give it a trip to the spa tonight, including a new tip.
50C1CC74-7CD6-45C1-A46F-0DE64F006FB0.jpeg

Don’t know why there are 2 pics, sorry!!

Konosuke MM 240 (225 for real), probably my favourite knife at home.

While digging through some of the “rubble” left from having recently moved to a house (you know, those last few boxes that really never get unpacked...) I found an old sheath knife that hasn’t seen the light of day in a long while. It’s not a kitchen knife I know, but i thought it fit quite well into this thread anyway. I’m surprised the leather and wood has held up as nice as it has, considering the time in storage.

I’ll give it a trip to the spa tonight, including a new tip.
View attachment 81346

Nice puukko! Finnish? Guessing UHB20C blade, antler spacer with brass ferrule, and a stained birch handle?

Nice puukko! Finnish? Guessing UHB20C blade, antler spacer with brass ferrule, and a stained birch handle?

Thank you! Sounds about right (except most likely Swedish). I wish I knew the steel, but it was a gift and the person who gave it’s knowledge ends somewhere around “it’s carbon, that’s good” (which is by no means bad in comparison to most).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back