My favorite color is USED .......the unvarnished patina thread!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you! Sounds about right (except most likely Swedish). I wish I knew the steel, but it was a gift and the person who gave it’s knowledge ends somewhere around “it’s carbon, that’s good” (which is by no means bad in comparison to most).

Nice! I've actually got an old (~50+ yrs) Swedish Mora puukko from the 1960s-70s that I'm working on restoring.

Speaking of patina, here's some photos of the puukko when I received it and a WIP pic of the restoration job.

1-Frosts-Mora-right-side.jpg

2-Frosts-Mora-left-side.jpg

3-Frosts-Mora-stamp.jpg

5-Frosts-Mora-Restoration-WIP-1.jpg

Nice! I've actually got an old (~50+ yrs) Swedish Mora puukko from the 1960s-70s that I'm working on restoring.

Speaking of patina, here's some photos of the puukko when I received it and a WIP pic of the restoration job.

1-Frosts-Mora-right-side.jpg

2-Frosts-Mora-left-side.jpg

3-Frosts-Mora-stamp.jpg

5-Frosts-Mora-Restoration-WIP-1.jpg
That’s a classic right there! That handle profile was the definition of a knife when I grew up. Not sure when they changed the Moras to an “ergonomic handle”...

That’s a classic right there! That handle profile was the definition of a knife when I grew up. Not sure when they changed the Moras to an “ergonomic handle”...

They sell the vintage style now under the "classic" series, but it just ain't the same. You can see the 1970s knife here next to a new "Classic No. 1." Dimensions and style are similar, but they've downgraded their materials in order to mass produce at a huge new scale. The new handle is painted birch. The old one is actual rosewood. They've ditched the end cap as well.

7-Frosts-Mora-Classic-1-comparison.jpg

The new Moras are still perfectly serviceable though, and at about $15 a knife, it's hard to complain. Great knife to take camping, scandi grind is great for shavings for tinder, can even stab spit or baton light kindling (not great for harder batoning because of the 3/4 stick tang). And despite what people say, scandi grind is still fine for cutting food in your camp kitchen. There are tons of wide bevel japanese kitchen knives after all. . .

They sell the vintage style now under the "classic" series, but it just ain't the same. You can see the 1970s knife here next to a new "Classic No. 1." Dimensions and style are similar, but they've downgraded their materials in order to mass produce at a huge new scale. The new handle is painted birch. The old one is actual rosewood. They've ditched the end cap as well.

7-Frosts-Mora-Classic-1-comparison.jpg

The new Moras are still perfectly serviceable though, and at about $15 a knife, it's hard to complain. Great knife to take camping, scandi grind is great for shavings for tinder, can even stab spit or baton light kindling (not great for harder batoning because of the 3/4 stick tang). And despite what people say, scandi grind is still fine for cutting food in your camp kitchen. There are tons of wide bevel japanese kitchen knives after all. . .

Having recently moved to a rural area, sandwiched between two nature reserves I’m staring to realise there’s a whole ‘nother big
rabbit hole of custom made bushcraft knives that “needs” exploring... 😅

Having recently moved to a rural area, sandwiched between two nature reserves I’m staring to realise there’s a whole ‘nother big
rabbit hole of custom made bushcraft knives that “needs” exploring... 😅

Bushcraft knives are a huge rabbit hole, I seem to have collected a few myself . . . 🤣 Won't clog the thread here but there are some real beauties out there. Favorite maker is probably Ben Orford in Malvern, England. Beautifully made and finished but real hard users all the same. His instagram contains a lot to drool over. Enjoy the rabbit hole, it's quite the journey :upsidedownspin:

Some fairly close up pics of some cute pizza on my Tsubaya branded Y Tanaka. I just keep falling in love with this thing all over again. I’m still in the process of really polishing it but with this patina on here it might be a while before I go over it again with the stones.....

Attachments

• 66035889-A2FD-4B79-B953-5C41897A8317.jpeg
    66035889-A2FD-4B79-B953-5C41897A8317.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 8A536790-E393-4090-9FE8-D78AD9944E90.jpeg
    8A536790-E393-4090-9FE8-D78AD9944E90.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 18
Some fairly close up pics of some cute pizza on my Tsubaya branded Y Tanaka. I just keep falling in love with this thing all over again. I’m still in the process of really polishing it but with this patina on here it might be a while before I go over it again with the stones.....
My love for your Tanaka and its cute pizza is profound, strictly platonic, but profound.

I am participating in the Raquin passaround and WOW does this get pretty. I removed the patina it already had, and then did some shallot, garlic, potatoes, mushrooms, asparagus.... and also sliced some nice rare steak. Whole lotta cute pizza on this thing now. Love the reactivity on this blade.

Attachments

• 1728FFE7-9E92-48C1-AA1A-9571685A42AD.jpeg
    1728FFE7-9E92-48C1-AA1A-9571685A42AD.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 9AE35125-5AC5-43A2-B75C-71EADE8C3A49.jpeg
    9AE35125-5AC5-43A2-B75C-71EADE8C3A49.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 27820628-7B5E-48AA-9C77-E5A08AA6CED6.jpeg
    27820628-7B5E-48AA-9C77-E5A08AA6CED6.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 18
  • F2D1AEC2-E30B-416A-89CD-E2544331894F.jpeg
    F2D1AEC2-E30B-416A-89CD-E2544331894F.jpeg