My favorite color is USED .......the unvarnished patina thread!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M. Hinoura shirogami #2

Probably the prettiest patina on all of my knives!

Attachments

• IMG_5517.jpg
    IMG_5517.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_5503.jpg
    IMG_5503.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 76
Are stones allowed to play CK?

I was bored yesterday so went to an salvage/antique shop, in which I found very grubby, cheap, old oilstone. It was pretty flat, finer than most that you normally see in this kind of place, and it had a nice dai:

View attachment 125829

Gave the holder a bit of a cursory sand and oil:

View attachment 125831

Wanged the stone in almost boiling water with a dishwasher tablet, and hey presto:

View attachment 125830

Once all the grime had come off it turned out to be an old Norton India, and I actually quite like it. Feels about 800 ish grit, and very fast.

[No varnish was involved in the restoration of this whetstone, so hopefully it still has enough character to qualify ;)]

That stone was a hell of a nice find. Hope I get lucky enough to find something like that one day.

These are not high quality knives per se, but I really love these little Opinel Carbones for quick paring jobs. They're soft and should patina fairly quickly, but I've found them easy enough to keep a fair edge with a strop on cork and maybe a pass on a really crappy steel rod (like J.A. Henckels block set crappy). For about $11/knife, I have alot of love for these.

IMG_5748.JPG

The Yanagi is fairly new (White #2), but on the right trajectory. Maybe this thread will still be going in a year when it has some proper patina to share.

IMG_5750.JPG

IMG_5749.JPG

I think it’s the only knife I post pictures of, but it’s been a while. Catching up on this thread and feeling inspired to show her off again. This was last week right before I gave it a bit of a thinning. I hope, despite a fair amount of blue, the thick bevel, layers of grey, and subtle signs of putting qualify it to be appropriate in the thread with the patina scoundrels
1623137950143.jpeg

Latest posts

Back