My favorite color is USED .......the unvarnished patina thread!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M. Hinoura shirogami #2

Probably the prettiest patina on all of my knives!

Attachments

• IMG_5517.jpg
    IMG_5517.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_5503.jpg
    IMG_5503.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 76
Are stones allowed to play CK?

I was bored yesterday so went to an salvage/antique shop, in which I found very grubby, cheap, old oilstone. It was pretty flat, finer than most that you normally see in this kind of place, and it had a nice dai:

View attachment 125829

Gave the holder a bit of a cursory sand and oil:

View attachment 125831

Wanged the stone in almost boiling water with a dishwasher tablet, and hey presto:

View attachment 125830

Once all the grime had come off it turned out to be an old Norton India, and I actually quite like it. Feels about 800 ish grit, and very fast.

[No varnish was involved in the restoration of this whetstone, so hopefully it still has enough character to qualify ;)]

That stone was a hell of a nice find. Hope I get lucky enough to find something like that one day.

These are not high quality knives per se, but I really love these little Opinel Carbones for quick paring jobs. They're soft and should patina fairly quickly, but I've found them easy enough to keep a fair edge with a strop on cork and maybe a pass on a really crappy steel rod (like J.A. Henckels block set crappy). For about $11/knife, I have alot of love for these.

IMG_5748.JPG

The Yanagi is fairly new (White #2), but on the right trajectory. Maybe this thread will still be going in a year when it has some proper patina to share.

IMG_5750.JPG

IMG_5749.JPG

I think it’s the only knife I post pictures of, but it’s been a while. Catching up on this thread and feeling inspired to show her off again. This was last week right before I gave it a bit of a thinning. I hope, despite a fair amount of blue, the thick bevel, layers of grey, and subtle signs of putting qualify it to be appropriate in the thread with the patina scoundrels
1623137950143.jpeg

Back