My first Carbon J-knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kswick

Reaction score
Yeah its cheap, cheaper than my other knives but its a Fujiwara FKH, 270 suji.

I love getting these packages from Japan, its so fun to open them every time!

So the question is, of the forced-patinas, which shall I do tomorrow morning? I've got a bucket that I've saved a lot of lamb and beef blood in at work but I hear of the mustard/bubblewrap as well.

Can't wait to use it and be converted to the carbon legions!

I did the ketchup trick after cutting a whole whack of rare striploin. It ended up looking awesome!

This was done with mustard and a finger:

PICT0458a.jpg

Blood will create a strong and very blue patina, which is my favorite. Congrats on the FKH, they are solid all-around performers!

Since we're flashing pics...

1b2aab0c.jpg

I'm not sure why the bevel looks partly concave, but i promise you, it isn't!
You'll love the FKH!

Maybe it was someone else's, or they just shared one finger. It's never smart to assume :D

3-21-11petty03.jpg

Konosuke 150 petty -- vinegar and mustard soaked twine, wrapped around blade.

A lot of folks think that we're obsessive, but you have to admire a guy who will cough up a finger to make his knife look better.

you do have to grind them up pretty fine.....

0308012029.jpg

I went the blood route. Didn't get much of a pattern after soaking. As I used it though, 20lbs zucchini 20lbs squash, a million red and yellow onions later it started to get a multi-color pattern with mostly blue but some yellow. Looking good! Didn't do it on purpose but the Kanji did not get soaked and is gleaming still, a really cool effect. Hope to post a pic soon.

After 1 short day I am hooked on carbon. It got sharp faster and sharper than my other knives (VG-10). Had so much fun I ended up using it for almost everything today.

:D

Yup, that seems to be how it begins....

This is a fun thread! I fell for the dark side early too. Honestly I think a lot of you guys would be shocked at what I let go as patina on some of my herd. I've grown hard looking after them with the abuse my family lays on them. I'll try to get some pics of my Fujiwara up when I get to knife pics in the next few days.

I like to just let it patina on it's own. Something cool about it to me. I've used one of Fowler's for 2 1/2 workdays and it's already got an even patina on the entire blade and bolster.

I go for mustard/finger which looks awesome. The I cut up a few lbs of onions in work and the whole blade is a really boring shade of brown :(

Did you set the mustard patina with oil afterwards?

Did you set the mustard patina with oil afterwards?

Yeah. But no matter how many times I wipe the blade when I'm using it, the onion brown just sort of covers up the nice blue colour. There's usually a blue circle near the handle though where my thumb is where I grip the knife

What steel is the blade made of?

White#2. My Masamoto and Sakai Yusuke both. I can try and get a pic if you like. The bit near the handle usually stays sorta blue but the half near the tip is pretty brown. I cut piles of onions and quite a lot of lemons

Back