My first knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AB blades

@abblades
KKF Supporting Craftsman
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Making my first knife , its a honesuki from 1.1274/ 1095 steel , double bevel , 160x45x3 mm
I plan to sharpen it like wide bevel knife

any opinions/suggestions? It still not heat treated
2C0B0ECB-AFB7-490E-AA4B-10F9B5ECFCEA.jpeg
9605738E-C41E-4319-AD17-FF1C9AD3D823.jpeg
CC8854D2-DE80-4A55-919D-E9790084A25D.jpeg

thanks
Andrei

Congratulations Andrei, it feels good doesn’t it? I also used 1095 for my first knife but much thinner stock. I’m pretty new at this myself so someone else would be better for advice. Just keep on making them and you will learn a lot.

Take care,

Greg

Congratulations Andrei, it feels good doesn’t it? I also used 1095 for my first knife but much thinner stock. I’m pretty new at this myself so someone else would be better for advice. Just keep on making them and you will learn a lot.

Take care,

Greg

Thank you Greg, its feel really good,
I want to ask you, what kind of knife you make from these Steel (1095) ?
Just thinking about next knife, much thinner and bigger

7BDDA2B0-5A8F-43B7-960E-C10A7CA449C6.jpeg
9A1C1209-D21F-4DB3-BAE0-2E0970B3E5EB.jpeg
I’m making Santoku chefs knives using 1/16” or .064 thick 1095. I built a propane forge for heat treat which works well with that steel.

Looks good so far. IMHO, thickness of the knife depends on intended use and performance as well as other characteristics like length, type of grind, distal taper (or lack thereof), etcetera.

I know some makers like very thin spine like the 1/16" that @gregfisk posted above, but not me, just my personal preference based on how I like to distal taper and grind the bevels. The thinner knife has less meat to grind convexity into the blade road.

a suggestion: get a real k type thermocouple/probe and meter for your tempering oven. they can be off by quite a lot. 150 on the oven might be 130 or 170. and so on. makes a lot of difference with simple steels.

i would aim for 60-62 hrc or so. depending on how hard you want to use it.

Thank you Greg, its feel really good,
I want to ask you, what kind of knife you make from these Steel (1095) ?
Just thinking about next knife, much thinner and bigger

These are not my first knives and they are not that big, about 7 to 9 inch blades. I also made my first knife with 1/16” 1095 and my thoughts are it’s not thick enough for a large knife, just not enough weight for what a large knife is intended for.

a suggestion: get a real k type thermocouple/probe and meter for your tempering oven. they can be off by quite a lot. 150 on the oven might be 130 or 170. and so on. makes a lot of difference with simple steels.

i would aim for 60-62 hrc or so. depending on how hard you want to use it.

thanks for suggestion, I heard that some degrees can make big difference
This kind of thermometer i am using in the kitchen( at work ) they a really good

you mean without making a hall ??? Just with heat?
Yes, if you read the thread I started recently about cutting a tang slot someone mentioned it. It’s at the end of the thread I think. Maybe you could PM him and ask?

Hi, some update, I get the knife back from heat treatment( I send the blade to I knife maker , because I dont have necessary equipment)
After hardening , the bevel at the spine was not straight and i spend some time on the belt grinder and then on atoma140 to make the bevel straight.
The blade is 2,7 mm thick and I leaved 0.5 mm at cutting edge
Can somebody tell me if its ok by hardening? how i know this happens just when blade is too thin
I started a new knife , a santoku that already I grind the distal taper and bevel. Now the spine is 1 mm thick, waring if its too thin for hardening

Thanks
Andrei

Attachments

• 84EDC073-526B-46CE-A7DF-3CF2EF538A5D.jpeg
    84EDC073-526B-46CE-A7DF-3CF2EF538A5D.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 25
Sorry, I might have misunderstood, was that the thickness at the edge before HT? If so, that should be OK. If that is the thickness before sharpening, then it seems too thick to me.

Back