My first Masamoto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cadillac J

Founding Member
Reaction score
Just opened up my Masamoto KS 300 yanagi, and I am wondering why it took me years to finally get a single-bevel.

This thing looks and feels amazing, not to mention the fit and finish is beyond my expectations...thanks Koki.

No point to this thread but to share some pics:

2h30lzb.jpg

9u2k2s.jpg

rw585x.jpg

35idi87.jpg

5b2zuu.jpg

14ttsn.jpg

307s3g1.jpg

111il2b.jpg

Nicw score! Beautiful knife. I hope you have fun with it.

Nice rack!! and what's on it looks like a great combo. Congrats on the addition to the family.

Looks very nice and clean. I'd like to see a follow up after your first sharpening. :)

Very nice knife, i have been tempted and this doesn't make it better!

WOW! Nice!

That last pic makes me feel all funny in the nethers. :D

I'd like to see a follow up after your first sharpening. :)

For sure, will do. Gonna be nice to have something new and interesting to sharpen...been a bit too comfortable on the stones that mixing it up will be refreshing.

who made the block?

The rack was made by my girlfriend's stepdad based off the one from Korin. I really like it, especially for knives that have a saya and are over 270mm.

Outstanding looking knife I'm certainly envious. Single bevels are great and that Yanagiba will be something you enjoy for sure. I want a Yanagiba so badly but since it isn't currently a need in my kit I keep putting it off, I don't know how much more I can hold out with photos like this though.

Congrats! The knife looks great.

Me too. It has improved my knife skills 150% very quickly (though that's not saying much).

i kind of found the KS weird to use, until i started using my Sabs.

Congrats Jarrod, the knife is beautiful and is the same exact one my friend has except his ferrule is black. Thanks for sharing pics and your collection is quite beastly!

Testing a KS Gyuto right now will be posting a review in a few days but so far it's awesome. I will definitely pick one or two knives from that line.

Yeah, I think my next purchase will be the small KS petty, and if I do give singles a go, the KS usuba looked really, really nice. I just didn't have $300+ for it, considering my (lack of) skills.

Jarrod,

Any updates on your Masamoto, how did sharpening go, what have you sliced with it, etc etc?

I will be sharpening my Yoshihiro for the first time tomorrow, I will let you know what happens :scared4: .

I was so busy with work last week and then went on a 4-day weekend vacation, that I'm just getting back into the swing of things and haven't had any real time to play around.

Later this week I plan on sharpening it up and messing around, and hopefully get a post about the experience.

Back