My first re-handling Feedback Welcome!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennyc

Reaction score
So I wanted to try some basic technique in a low risk environment before changing messing up some nicer or irreplaceable knives I have. Your criticism is welcome :)

I chose cheap cleavers for now becuase they are:
-cheap (!) - no guilt if I irreversibly screw it up
-relatively soft blades so easy to test different finish/polish levels
-large surface area
-pretty rough ootb finish - lots for me to do!

Before:
CX4jTeb.jpg

YcanuGO.jpg

Ugly-ass original handle, some really soft porous wood with stamped aluminum ferrules
8uhFvab.jpg

Replacement handle turned on a friend's lathe. In retrospect I should have done some flatter surfaces with this piece to show off the burling
H46HIHj.jpg

Ferrule made from some scrap brass (used to be the end of a garden hose - I hate to see anything go to waste!)
xUK6GUr.jpg

Ferrule polished, mounted
4NkiMZD.jpg

Blade - kurouchi sanded off, spine and choil crowned, hand sanded to ~600 grit (dont have a belt grinder)
DDqDVdB.jpg

Handle mounted, initial sanding completed
E47ubTt.jpg

Well I think this came out pretty nice. Well done.
The brass piece, what did you use to shape/sand it?

thanks! It was the knurled female end of a garden hose I was throwing out (leaked). I just used a hand file to file down the knurling and round out the 90 at the end. The hole in the middle was already there so another assortment of hand files was used to make it fit then tang.

maxresdefault.jpg

Finishing was then done with sandpaper to ~600 grit, then blue automotive wheel polish (literally the closest thing within reach in my garage lol) on a rag.

Well I think this came out pretty nice. Well done.
The brass piece, what did you use to shape/sand it?

Back