My first real crack at making knives.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've made several knives from saw blades just for shits and giggles. I also made a couple in AEB-L, one for myself and another for a local fishmonger that were essentially to practice hand sanding. This and random refurbs or re-handle jobs is all I've done playing around in the shed.

About three weeks ago, my next door neighbor says he wants me to make some presents for his girlfriend and daughter and needs them for the end of April as he leaves in May to meet up with his daughter for her birthday in Europe. I try and say I can't because I have a ton of work and a camping trip in between. He really wanted something handmade for them, so I told him I'll do my best, but couldn't make any promises.

They're far from perfect, but I'm pleasantly surprised with how they turned out. This was also the first time I've tried scotch brite belts for finishing a new knife and man was I surprised about how nice those were to finish with.

8" chef in AEB-L with bocote handle (I wish I had taken more pictures and some measurements before handing this one over)
This was ground with a bit thicker convex for someone used to German knives.

PXL_20230427_031141505.jpg

PXL_20230427_030236057.jpg

PXL_20230427_030302161.jpg

7" nakiri in AEB-L and I should have paid attention to materials, but I think bubinga and blackwood ( I wish I had made the neck a little shorter). This one is ground pretty damn thin, but I was still shocked to see it weigh in at 152g.
PXL_20230430_045406264.jpg

PXL_20230430_045613648.jpg

Latest posts

Back