My First Rehandle!!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks great--I'm really impressed. And the detailed steps are helpful.

When are you gonna start taking orders?

I don't think I'm going to start making handles, but I do have a budding knife and exotic wood addiction . . .

Damn, it's a great outcome for a first rehandle. You wouldn't want to see my first rehandle for sure. Great job!

Real nice work. Great you did it the right way from the start. You just shortened the learning curve, for sure. Good luck on the rest of 'em!

Beautiful handle Mr. Theory!! That wood looks very familiar to me. I bought a similar one from Craig Stevens awhile back. I forgot what mine was too (even now lol), but thankfully I can still see the ebay auction =p.

It seems its raspberry cottonwood burl lol, maybe yours is too?

LOL, Thanks for the laugh and welcome to the club. We meet every Thursday and Sunday. at 7:00 pm :D Hello, my name is Randy. Im a Burl Junky and cross addicted to musk ox horn and mammoth ivory. I got my last fix about a hour ago when I purchased some maple burl from Burl source and some ironwood from Arizona Ironwood. The funny part is the last comment is TRUE!

I can see it now. You have entered the twilight zone.

1. You started collecting woods.. Which is the first step in the addiction. :D

2. You start to see everything as a possible Handle material. from a tree to well. your grandma's dining room set and everything in between and your thinking " Hmmm I bet that would make a cool knife handle"

3. You start buying knives .. Just to rehandle them..

4. Your realize your gona need more tools. so you start another collection. TOOLS

5. Your addiction grows and when ya see a large burl on a neighbors tree. And you have to fight the urge to break out the chainsaw and bring it home..

6. You start to stockpile more woods and material. and convince yourself to add on a room to the house or designate a large area of your home for your NEW work space for your obsession not to mention all the new tools :) and all that burl.

7. You realize knife making is not a hobby but a addiction that can quickly take over your world.

8. Replete these steps. and continue having a blast, making cool stuff and lovin it! :spin chair:

Thats as far as I have come so I cant say for sure where this ends.. I sure hope not!! lol Yep Im a addict.
Have fun and be safe..

By the way. Your first looks WAY better then mine did.. :cool2: Great job, And fun play by play.

Blessings
Randy

Soooo, soooo, sooooo true!!!

Beautiful handle Mr. Theory!! That wood looks very familiar to me. I bought a similar one from Craig Stevens awhile back. I forgot what mine was too (even now lol), but thankfully I can still see the ebay auction =p.

It seems its raspberry cottonwood burl lol, maybe yours is too?

Soooo, soooo, sooooo true!!!

Thanks for identifying what the wood was and the source. Was wondering and going to guess box elder. Craig Stevens makes some outrageous dyed blanks and scales. I've got a few pieces of his stuff in my stash of lumber I'm gearing up to use on a wa handle this week. Great to see such good results. Great job on the handle to the original poster!

Thanks for identifying what the wood was and the source. Was wondering and going to guess box elder. Craig Stevens makes some outrageous dyed blanks and scales. I've got a few pieces of his stuff in my stash of lumber I'm gearing up to use on a wa handle this week. Great to see such good results. Great job on the handle to the original poster!

No thanks necessary! And yes, Craig's wilder colored stuff stuff is very, very beautiful if you can make it work. The purple was...difficult to pull off and keep classy lol...but I used wenge and brass to offset it...and it seemed to come out ok. Theory did an excellent job with it!

Oh, and speaking of Craigs stuff...I was just outbid a couple weeks ago on a blue and gold piece. I bid $55, and it went for $75.

INSANE!

I have seen one set of Craig's scales go up to $249. That clearly is insanity...

Stefan

I have seen one set of Craig's scales go up to $249. That clearly is insanity...

Stefan

Wow lol. I could see one (very wealthy) person perhaps being willing to bid that much for a piece of wood...but two lol?

Again...wow =p.

By the way...thanks that little piece of all grey buckeye burl you sold through Myron. I think I have just the project for it :).

Stefan

wow!

I have a big turning block of sugargum burl I got from him that I'm planning on using as ferrules next to African Blackwood - maybe if my ambition doesn't get ahead of me, with some silver string inlay in the blackwood instead of a spacer too. (Pictures to be posted of the finished result if I don't botch the thing). As others have said in this message string.... "it's an addiction."....

Speaking of Craig's stuff -- some of it is outrageously bold, some of it more subtle - but it's definitely impressive.

I think I spent around $60 on my block from him and almost didn't pull the trigger to get it thinking "it's just one piece of dyed wood...not anything exotic." Once I saw it in person, though, I could easily have seen myself doubling what I paid to try and make a showpiece project.

When I traded messages with Craig, he said the combination of dyes and drying times took about 6 years on the sugargum. How much of that was "lost in a woodpile and forgotten about" versus actually necessary, I couldn't say but it made the price seem a little less steep. He seems as addicted and focused on his blanks as some of us get on what we do with them.

Don't want to hijack the thread here...but for the other handle making addicts - this is the piece I got from him:

sugargumburl1_zps3b060eec.jpg

LOL, Thanks for the laugh and welcome to the club. We meet every Thursday and Sunday. at 7:00 pm :D Hello, my name is Randy. Im a Burl Junky and cross addicted to musk ox horn and mammoth ivory. I got my last fix about a hour ago when I purchased some maple burl from Burl source and some ironwood from Arizona Ironwood. The funny part is the last comment is TRUE!

I can see it now. You have entered the twilight zone.

1. You started collecting woods.. Which is the first step in the addiction. :D

2. You start to see everything as a possible Handle material. from a tree to well. your grandma's dining room set and everything in between and your thinking " Hmmm I bet that would make a cool knife handle"

3. You start buying knives .. Just to rehandle them..

4. Your realize your gona need more tools. so you start another collection. TOOLS

5. Your addiction grows and when ya see a large burl on a neighbors tree. And you have to fight the urge to break out the chainsaw and bring it home..

6. You start to stockpile more woods and material. and convince yourself to add on a room to the house or designate a large area of your home for your NEW work space for your obsession not to mention all the new tools :) and all that burl.

7. You realize knife making is not a hobby but a addiction that can quickly take over your world.

8. Replete these steps. and continue having a blast, making cool stuff and lovin it! :spin chair:

Thats as far as I have come so I cant say for sure where this ends.. I sure hope not!! lol Yep Im a addict.
Have fun and be safe..

By the way. Your first looks WAY better then mine did.. :cool2: Great job, And fun play by play.

Blessings
Randy
HHAHAHAHAHAHAHA SOO TRUE!!! I have been in rehab for the last 3 months but I am starting to relapse!! just decided to move so that I could have a work space and a basement to put all my tools and wood in !! My uncle just cut down some old apple trees and pine tree and I have been tempted to steal a few pieces and bring them home with me!! So addicting!!! I need some group therapy!!

Excellent Job with the re-handle work when you are installing your new handles try using a bit of blue /green tape at the guard area to protect the Blade from epoxy over run . when the epoxy is about cured (before it is hardened ) remove the tape and you will have a clean area at the blade to handle area . congratulation to the Blade addiction group.

Sam

Back