My first stones

Discussion in 'Sharpening Station' started by Beanwagon, May 17, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. May 17, 2019 #1

Beanwagon

Beanwagon

Beanwagon

20190517_155840.jpg 20190517_155835.jpg 20190517_155827.jpg I just got back from a trip to japan whilst at cutlery tsubaya i made a last minute/rushed decision to by my first stones.

I am very new to knife sharpening so i understand its not too crucial what i use to learn at this stage.

Does anyone have experience/advice or criticisms of these?

Do i have to soak before use? Etc

NANIWA - Kagayaki Professional Series #1000 & #3000

Shapton ceramic #120

I mainly bought the #120 to finish/set bevel on knives i make myself.

2. May 17, 2019 #2

Ivan Hersh

Ivan Hersh

Ivan Hersh

These videos might help you.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  3. May 17, 2019 #3

Beanwagon

Beanwagon

Beanwagon

Awesome cheers.

I also plan on getting a stone or two if necessary to bridge the gap between the #120 & #1000.

4. May 17, 2019 #4

Ivan Hersh

Ivan Hersh

Ivan Hersh

I have this stone and feel it would bridge the gap well.
    Naniwa Chosera 800 Grit Stone - with Base

5. May 17, 2019 #5

Beanwagon

Beanwagon

Beanwagon

6. May 17, 2019 #6

Ivan Hersh

Ivan Hersh

Ivan Hersh

7. May 17, 2019 #7

Beanwagon

Beanwagon

Beanwagon

8. May 17, 2019 #8

Ivan Hersh

Ivan Hersh

Ivan Hersh

What i quickly learned was i really did not need many of the stones i bought, i could have gotten along with just the 800 and my 2000.
    Now you are working with work that needs stones i don't need right now, but having the stones on hand is nice if one can afford them.

9. May 17, 2019 #9

Bert2368

Bert2368

Bert2368

Hellish frozen Northern wasteland, aka MN
    I am an infidel, profaning this temple to Japanese perfection with my uncouth practices. Also a cheap bastard.

Bought my first couple of man made water stones (Shapton 2,000 and 5,000) while visiting Japan too, they were my entry into this world, but I have degenerated into buying Chinese stuff...

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/...ced-natural-stone-guardedly-optimistic.40893/

Finally, I have descended to the utter depths of depravity and bought some under $10 (delivered!) Chinese natural stones. Which, oddly enough, worked rather well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H1D8CK...ag=kitchenknifeforum_skimlinks_replacement-20

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/posts/611294/

And discovered the guilty pleasures of using Walmart denim fabric and cheap metal polish instead of fine Corinthian leather for stropping...

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/posts/615334/

Save your money for buying the next knife (get a gyuto, my personal thoughts).

And go to "science of sharp", LOOK at the pictures of what edges are really doing when you sharpen, strop or steel on them.
    https://scienceofsharp.wordpress.com

10. May 17, 2019 #10

Knife2meatu

Knife2meatu

Knife2meatu

@Beanwagon Never soak the Shapton 120, because it quickly would dissolve.
    The 1k/3k are very much splash-&-go, and short soaking does not help them.
    That said, I've had the 1k stone of that line-up permanently immersed for months now without ill effects. Soaking tends to reduce its loading, speed its cutting and facilitate obtaining even finish across a wider bevel. I would now be very reticent to stop soaking it because there's much risk of it cracking as it dries. I probably will not be permasoaking my 3k; and I doubt you should soak either of yours.

If you're not going to be permasoaking them, you'll very much want something to remove loading with; pretty much anything will work, but I particularly like the Naniwa cleaning stones included with the Choseras for this. Although I don't know that I would have bought one for the purpose.

That 1k stone leaves a high polish but is rather slow; you could definitely benefit from something between it and the 120. Lots and lots of options there.

edit: I should say, that combo stone is the same kind of stuff as Naniwa Super Stones and Specialty/Sharpening Stones.

11. May 18, 2019 #11

Beanwagon

Beanwagon

Beanwagon

Thank you everybody for the input. I am going to play around with these stones today. Interestingly the 'combo stone' is actually two separate stones' 20190518_101602.jpg

12. May 18, 2019 #12

inferno

inferno

inferno

bert is right that even the cheapest possible stone will make your knife sharper given enough time.

but there are levels in performance and feel and speed. between the cheapest and most expensive ones. make no mistake. I happen to live in a western country and here TIME is actually much more expensive than money kinda. if you know what i mean. very few people are competent, so they are always fully booked and thius time is money. since its so little of it. the money doesnt really matter. time does though since this is the commodity thats not available.

i have 1 superstone. the 12k. and i think your stones are in this family too. my shapton 12k pro must be 2-3x faster doing what it does. but the superstone poilishes better. actually all superstones do that. they polish about twice or so as their rating. but they also abrade steel slower. they give up that.

If i were you i would simply use what you have and be happy. no need going on a stone spree just yet imo!!

just use the ones you have. and then after maybe 10-20 sharpened knives then you can try to determine if you need other stones. there is not better or worse with stones. they are just different. whats better for me might be worse for you. i recently tested 6 1k stones. they were all good. good enough at least. and having any of them would do. since the difference were so small in actual performance.