My first Wa handle WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beanwagon

Reaction score
This is my 1st attempt at making a handle. Sort of a practice run i guess.

Ebony,Copper spacer & and redgum.

im not sure if it is the right size or not.

I would love some feedback.

I used the dowel method.

Now i just need to finish a knife to attach to it

Looks like you had fun. As far as size, I think it is all personal preference. Most people prefer a 240 gyuto with a tapered octagonal handle 20x25mm at the face. Personal preferences deviate from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you had fun. As far as size, I think it is all personal preference. Most people prefer a 240 gyuto with a tapered octagonal handle 20x25mm at the face. Personal preferences deviate from there.

Cheers! I havent measured the face yet. I am assuming ut would be smaller than what you have listed. I was aiming for thicker than what i ended up with however this was a small offcut of redgum so i didn't have much material to work with. The copper spacer was from a copper pipe that i cut up and flattened.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers! I havent measured the face yet. I am assuming ut would be smaller than what you have listed. I was aiming for thicker than what i ended up with however this was a small offcut of redgum so i didn't have much material to work with. The copper spacer was from a copper pipe that i cut up and flattened.

I keep my first handles around, just to remind me about the first time. I did a couple things to vastly improve the final product, then I have made a few more tweaks in the last year.

Have fun. If it is comfortable, functional, that is the most important thing! I have taken to buying sheet metals since they start out pretty flat.

That looks really cool, especially nice for a first handle too!

From the video it's hard to tell, but I personally prefer a little more taper, thinner at the top of the handle going to bigger at the butt. But it's mostly aesthetic to me since I use a pinch grip 99% of the time.

That looks really cool, especially nice for a first handle too!

From the video it's hard to tell, but I personally prefer a little more taper, thinner at the top of the handle going to bigger at the butt. But it's mostly aesthetic to me since I use a pinch grip 99% of the time.

I wanted more taper but i ran out of material to use. I have another glued up ready to shape that i should be able to make big improvements on.

First of all, it’s way better than my first attempt.

For improvements - taper and chamfering.
Taper - I generally taper 3-4mm height, 2mm width

26x22 taper to 23x20 is my standard

Chamfering - so this is the easier part to mess up, which is why you often see shallow chamfering. I would chamfer more, take a look at a decent octagonal stock handle. (Lots of octagonal stock handles have inconsistent chamfering; it’s not as automated as d-shaped or oval) Rough cut example attached

F3F9B141-D607-4DEF-AAEB-E326C2F1B474.jpeg

First of all, it’s way better than my first attempt.

For improvements - taper and chamfering.
Taper - I generally taper 3-4mm height, 2mm width

26x22 taper to 23x20 is my standard

Chamfering - so this is the easier part to mess up, which is why you often see shallow chamfering. I would chamfer more, take a look at a decent octagonal stock handle. (Lots of octagonal stock handles have inconsistent chamfering; it’s not as automated as d-shaped or oval) Rough cut example attached

View attachment 55624

Awesome cheers for the info. I as started making another handle. I will try my hand at the chamfer this afternoon and post pictures.

Latest posts

Back