My first yanagiba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

83kamaleon

Reaction score
Hi all,I've finally finished it,I bought the damascus billet already hardened on Amazon,it turned out ok,no delamination issues.The blade is 1095/15n20 210mm long,the wa handle is olive wood with a water buffalo horn.Even if there are some defects i'm quite satisfied with the result,even the ura came out ok,let me know what you think, suggestions are welcome, I'm a super beginner
2dkwdxw.jpg
nnqsep.jpg
mjn8rp.jpg
2dhzq74.jpg

For your first try, you kept the shinogi nice and consistent! :thumbsup:

Put some Kanji on it and it could pass for a well made jknife, only things I wish were different are, 1. blade road looks a little low at the heel, I wish it was taller(could just be picks, I imagine a 210 yanagi should be around 31/32 mm tall, can't really make out the ura unfortunatly :( but the knife looks solid, I'd rock it with a smile

The blade road looks low cause the heel sinks in the red blanket a little,I've never engraved anything,is it hard?I could try on a piece of scrap metal,any suggestion?

Killer first attempt! I’d rock that in my kit. In fact I’ve been looking for the perfect knife in the 210 size... you’re giving me some yanagi ideas. I also appreciate the shells, very cute.

I’m a handle guy myself, was that your first handle as well? It also looks great.

Thank you all guys for the appreciations.The handle was my fourth,but it was the first time using buffalo horn

like i wrote in the other post i did the ura before anything else ,i know it's not the proper way of doing it but since i had difficulties staying centered where the blade starts narrowing on another yanagiba that i started making,i decided to do so.After doing the ura i cut the blank to shape and only then i started grinding the bevels

Latest posts

Back