My latest attempt

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camperman

Reaction score
This one is in RWL34 with Amboyona scales.

bil
T

Any opinions very welcome and thanks for looking.

I like this one very much. Has an unapologetic and quintessential knife shape to it. Like if a knife had to use a public washroom, an outline of this knife would adorn the entry door.

Looks like the handle might be heavy for the blade. Did you skeletonize the tang?

Looks like the handle might be heavy for the blade. Did you skeletonize the tang?
Well there were quite a few holes drilled in the tang to reduce weight.
Balance was pretty much on that front pin.
I contacted the chef who now owns it this week to check all was OK.
Got the thumbs up.
It was to her specs.
Cheers

Tried to get some holes in a tang myself last week and ended up with a ruined expensive drillbit and no hole to show for it. I guess i had to learn that metal becomes difficult to work with post heattreat the hard way. Love your work though. Hope i'll get there someday.

Tried to get some holes in a tang myself last week and ended up with a ruined expensive drillbit and no hole to show for it. I guess i had to learn that metal becomes difficult to work with post heattreat the hard way. Love your work though. Hope i'll get there someday.

If you are really careful, it's possible you could cool the blade in water bath or wet sand and torch temper just the tang soft enough to drill. Never done it myself but you can Google for how to. You could also try carbide or diamond tip drill bits.

Back