my old Sabatier

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Benuser

from The Netherlands, EU.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess were it's from the sixties or later.

Benuser

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bit of work: it got a lot of steeling, so the usual things: protruding fingerguard, reverse belly, tip. Once the profile got restored it will need some good thinning as well. Well worth the time and effort. If you haven't done those things before: a lot of members here are very familiar with these kind of repairs.

Last edited:

Heckel7302

Reaction score
What is the handle material? If you rub it and it stinks like burnt hair, it’s hard rubber and likely from the 60’s. Pre-60’s they had wood handles. If it doesn’t smell then it’s more modern plastic and 1970’s or later.

Should clean up nice regardless. The profile looks pretty good. A little work to grind the bolster down flush, but not too bad.

Last edited:

Benuser

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the handle material? If you rub it and it stinks like burnt hair, it’s celluloid and likely from the 60’s. Pre-60’s they had wood handles. If it doesn’t smell then it’s more modern plastic and 1970’s or later.
In
Should clean up nice regardless. The profile looks pretty good. A little work to grind the bolster down flush, but not too bad.
You're right about the handle. I forgot it might very well be an export one, especially for the American market, in which case a pre-sixties full tang is perfectly possible. I would than expect a Canadian though, with a narrow fingerguard and no virole or integrated full bolster. In France the full tang was only common since the sixties, as the Nogent was preferred until then, and ebony from the colonies was available.

McMan

Reaction score
What is the handle material? If you rub it and it stinks like burnt hair, it’s celluloid and likely from the 60’s. Pre-60’s they had wood handles. If it doesn’t smell then it’s more modern plastic and 1970’s or later.

Hard rubber--like old pocket combs--not celluloid. Celluloid was often tortoise shell, swirl, etc., used for pocket knife scales.

Benuser

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right about the handle. I forgot it might very well be an export one, especially for the American market, in which case a pre-sixties full tang is perfectly possible. I would than expect a Canadian though, with a narrow fingerguard and no virole or integrated full bolster. In France the full tang was only common since the sixties, as the Nogent was preferred until then, and ebony from the colonies was available.
Have to correct about the dating, as I learned from @cotedupy about full tang, full bolsters being sold in Paris in the mid-fifties.