My stone has an oil stain...help!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowtyper

Reaction score
My 1k stone has what I think is an oil stain. This section of the stone clogs up instantly once I start sharpening, used a diamond plate to take a layer off (did it about 5-8 times) and each time it gets clogged back up right when I start sharpening. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Clean it in warm water with dish soap (Dove or something like it) and brush lightly with a plastic bristle brush if you have one. How long you soak your stone in warm water depends on the kind of stone (some stones are not meant to be soaked or left in water for extended times). I would get to this as soon as possible before the oil soaks down into the stone.

jacko,
It's been like this for quite a while unfortunately. I didn't realize what it was, just thought it would go away after taking off another layer with flattening. I assume it happened when someone put their stones on top of mine in storage at work, they rub their stone with oil.

ec,
The stone has a wooden base, but it never occured to me to try to remove it until your post. THanks! I'll look into it.

jacko,
It's been like this for quite a while unfortunately. I didn't realize what it was, just thought it would go away after taking off another layer with flattening. I assume it happened when someone put their stones on top of mine in storage at work, they rub their stone with oil.

ec,
The stone has a wooden base, but it never occured to me to try to remove it until your post. THanks! I'll look into it.

You might want to try wetting the stone and then dripping some dish soap on it and let it soak in for a while and see if it can pull the oil out, it's worth a try. BTW - I know about this because I sharpened my wood chisels on my stones that had oil on them to keep them from rusting - I did have have some success with the dish soap.

Not quite since the stone is glued to a wood base - take care of the oil problem instead of trying to avoid the issue.

Agree. I highly recommend acetone or brake fluid. Drop some on, then soak it up with an absorbent rag. I've also had success putting stones in the dishwasher, but that's riskier---especially with a wooden base.

Hmm...brake cleaner. Never thought of that. I tried like hell to get a tiny spot out of a ShapPro. I was afraid to use anything too crazy so stuck with multiple applications of 'simple green'. It was never quite the same though.

I soaked it again with warm water and some dish soap and it does appear better! I also noticed my diamond plate (cheapo one) was clogged up so gave it a better flatten, also got a flatten at a knife store I brought it to today.

Sharpened a knife and it does appear a bit better, will give it another try with soap again. I also took the wooden base off, lots of glue gunk attaches to the stone. Any recommendations to take it off? I scrubbed the **** out of it and it didn't do much, will try again tomorrow

Glue gunk on the wood base I would attack with acetone first, if that doesn't work use a scraper. I'm glad your stone clean up somewhat - hopefully the soap will eventually get the oil out without damaging the stone.

Back