My visit to JKI

Discussion in 'Japanese Knife Imports' started by DevinT, May 16, 2018.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. May 16, 2018 #1

DevinT

DevinT

DevinT

Founding Member

We had a trip planned to Disneyland with our grandkids so we decided to take a slight detour and visit JB and the gang.

We’d only been there for a few minutes when a lady brought in a knife for resharpening. JB used the horizontal water wheel to establish the bevel and then refined it on the water stones. It was fun watching the master work.

The store had lots of knives and stones. I was very impressed with the amount of time that was spent with each customer helping and educating them. There were people working, people hanging out, customers coming in, it was a busy place.

Our time was short because of heavy traffic getting there and trying to leave before rush hour traffic. Didn’t even have time to talk about stones and only got to talk about some of the knives. I really liked the gengetsu semi-stainless with burnt chestnut handles.

There was lots of things to see and talk about that we didn’t get to, maybe next time.

Definitely worth the visit. Thanks JB and gang.

Hoss

2. May 17, 2018 #2

mc2442

mc2442

mc2442

Very cool for you to share your visit Hoss! I definitely recommend stopping by and seeing Jon and the gang to anyone in the area with a little time to kill. Your pocket might be a little lighter when you leave but you will enjoy whatever you buy.

3. May 17, 2018 #3

WildBoar

WildBoar

WildBoar

Home cook, knife accumulator Founding Member

It is great that you got to visit. Jon is truly First Class. And I am sure he was happy to be visited by you.

4. May 17, 2018 #4

JBroida

JBroida

JBroida

Founding Member

yeah... it was a lot of fun... just wish we had more time, but LA traffic really sucks sometimes

5. May 17, 2018 #5

daddy yo yo

daddy yo yo

daddy yo yo

Wow, I just bought such a knife on BST and now I am even more curious!!!

6. May 17, 2018 #6

Bill13

Bill13

Bill13

Wait, I thought LA traffic always sucked;). Kinda like DC traffic, just worse.

7. May 17, 2018 #7

panda

panda

panda

O.G.

does this mean we're going to see next jon visit DT shop and post a video of him trying to make his own knife???

8. May 17, 2018 #8

YG420

YG420

YG420

How bout a gesshin line of dt knives! Wink wink 😉

9. May 19, 2018 #9

kostantinos

kostantinos

kostantinos

Jon always been first class all the way . Its a shame you didn't discuss stones with Jon as i believe Jon has some of the better stones out there and he is very practical and no nonsense in his approach.

10. May 19, 2018 #10

JBroida

JBroida

JBroida

Founding Member

lol... Devin and I talk on the phone from time to time... he doesn't have to come all the way out here to talk to me, but it was nice to finally meet in person for sure

11. May 22, 2018 #11

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Do you have regular hours that you are at the store? I guess you have staff there when you are in Japan etc.

12. May 22, 2018 #12

JBroida

JBroida

JBroida

Founding Member

if we're open, i'm here, except when i'm in Japan. Usually, if i'm not here, Josh and Sumiko will be here (i.e. during japan, etc). But other than that, i pretty much live here at work. 6 days a week (and sometimes on my day off too). My only day off is thursday, and the store is closed on thursdays.

13. May 31, 2018 #13

MontezumaBoy

MontezumaBoy

MontezumaBoy

Figured here was a better place than having a new "Great JKI Visit" thread since those would likely fill up Mr. Broida's sub-forum pretty quickly but I can't resist saying how over the top helpful and talented all the folks are at JKI (stopped in on Monday). Was able to pop in with a couple of my screw ups which Jon fixed in 5 min's while I walked back and forth like an expectant father only to see the beauties back to brand baby spanking new condition! Just watching his attention to detail/work with a re-handle (amazing to watch BTW) and some 'quickie' touch ups on a few other knives I had brought up to show him (while I waited) ... All without ever trying to "sell" me anything - although I had kinda hoped he would since that place is a candy store in my eyes ...

I think JKI/Jon should get the KKF "Best of Show" award year after year after year for all he does be it vid's, info, help, etc. etc. etc. and damn can he put a bloody fantastic edge on a blade in a stupidly short amount of time. Looking forward to the KKF award show & after party at the store!

Thx again Jon - just wished I could stop by more often!!

Tom

14. Jun 16, 2018 #14

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

In what world do you live in where this is a slight detour?

Bill13 and DevinT like this.
  15. Oct 17, 2018 #15

MontezumaBoy

MontezumaBoy

MontezumaBoy

Another (while in El Segundo) trip to JKI and, as always, I took away a lot more than I left - which includes knowledge, advice and general sharpening enthusiasm ... plus I got to pick up a nice little JKI "travel blade" (Gesshin Stainless 210) which is just perfect for what I need ...

If you haven't been ... go ... if you have been then go back & back & back ... repeat as much as possible ...

Broken record (for those young enough to understand the reference)? Maybe but all I can say is ... Truth! ....

Thanks Mr. Broida and Co!

Mucho Bocho and JBroida like this.
  16. Nov 2, 2018 #16

cheflarge

cheflarge

cheflarge

Not surprised, one darn bit!

17. Nov 2, 2018 #17

Marek07

Marek07

Marek07

My world!
    Next year, I'm travelling ~12,766km to visit a relative in Garden Grove. It's less than 5km from Disneyland. I'll definitely be visiting Jon's shop which is 60km away. A minor detour in the scheme of things but a tour highlight for me. :D

18. Nov 2, 2018 #18

JBroida

JBroida

JBroida

Founding Member

garden grove is SO far... sorry in advance

19. Nov 2, 2018 #19

Marek07

Marek07

Marek07

Traffic seems to be an issue but not a deal breaker once I'm in CA. Certainly not going to stop me visiting... at least once!

20. Nov 28, 2018 #20

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

It's not that far... They could be coming from San Diego lol.

21. Nov 28, 2018 #21

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

Only get on the freeway between 9ish am and 3pm. Or after 7pm.

22. Nov 29, 2018 #22

Marek07

Marek07

Marek07

Duly noted - thanks! Will also consult Google Maps in case of extra problems on the day/s.

23. Nov 29, 2018 #23

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

Travels all the way from Melbourne, Australia... decides last 50km seem a little difficult.

24. Nov 29, 2018 #24

mc2442

mc2442

mc2442

While I definitely agree with the sentiment Badger, timing and day of the week can HUGELY impact how long that extra distance takes out of (what I assume is) a set vacation timeline. The good thing is there are many routes between...the bad thing is just how red each is when you are trying to travel them. It is always a game getting in and out of LA to avoid the worst of the red on the traffic maps.

But yes, over all I say bite the bullet regardless and visit Jon and gang!

I would have to be paid an insane amount to live in LA, for the traffic alone...housing pretty much sucks in all of So Cal (went SD, OC, currently SD).