Japanese Knives My visit to JKI

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might have to make the trip with you, Tom. Have a cousin that lives in the rural LA area & I would love to meet the "Guru" himself. Pretty much the sole person responsible for my PLUNGE into the rabbit hole.

Chef - ANY TIME ... really ... any time ... I will figure it out / make it happen (Also - still comin your way for Whole Animal Cooking though!) ... will make sure I come get you and head over to JKI ... Jon & Crew are ABSOLUTELY fantastic - you just have to do it. Can't say enough ...

Jon = Knife / Rabbit Hole / Enabler Extraordinaire ... and the really really sad thing is you don't even KNOW it's happening ... because Jon & Co are FANTASTIC at being great people!

PM me / we will figure this out ...

i wish that were the reason... in all honesty, here's how it works out:

• We cant close on Sundays or Mondays as they are often the only days cooks have off
  • We cant close on Fridays or Saturdays, as they are traditional shopping days for home cooks
  • We cant close on Wednesdays, as its the big farmers market day here, and we get a lot of chefs on their way back to their restaurants
That left tuesdays and thursdays. We looked at how things were going (we used to be clsoed on sundays for a short bit), and thursdays were slower, so we picked thursdays.

literally every friday someone comes in and is like, "i was just here yesterday and you were closed. Why thursdays?"
I worked at a place downtown in this pretty small city once. The other 7 restaurants downtown were closed on sundays and Mondays so we decided to open those 2 days and close on Tuesday instead. Every Wednesday customers would come in and say “why are y’all closed on Tuesday?” Haha

I think I’ve driven past JKI about a hundred times and over a thousand since my early years. Need to stop by and pick up a knife and stones

LA driving sucks and unless I have something to do around that area, I tend to avoid it. Things must change, lol...

I finally got to visit JKI Saturday. Jon was incredibly patient with all my questions. Was looking for a Sujihiki, kind of thin. Jon recommended the Gesshin Ginga, but I wasn't sure about stainless.

He let me sharpen one in the store to see how I liked it (and of course with the master watching I forgot everything I know about sharpening, LOL). Not bad at all, my only other experience sharpening stainless is VG10, and this wasn't anything like it. So got one of those and a JNat stone to play with.

There are very few stores around anymore where you really prefer to spend your money and will even go out of your way to do so if they have what you want. JKI is definitely like that, can't think of another off the top of my head.

Back