My wife will only allow one hobby at a time, and......

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NO ChoP!

Old Head
Reaction score
I just scooped up a new car and ditched the big SUV, so I haven't been lurking much lately. Maybe after I get a Stillen intake and catback, I'll get a hankering for a knife again! LOL

Can anyone else here afford another hobby besides knives???

My new HD has become a very large money pit. It did pull 100lbs. of torque on the dyno after a few goodies,worth every penny.

I limit myself to one hobby at a time. Did you get a Nissan and if so which one?

Yah, I got a Maxima SV-Sport... I'll tell you, after driving a big bumbly Expedition for years, this thing is a real treat!

My hobbies are all about making things. I still keep hearing "you don't need another hobby"! Unless it makes something that she wants!

knives, food, and cameras kill my bank account... knives are actually the least expensive of my hobbies :(

Motorcycles, Land Cruiser, music, movies. Knives are relatively new on the list.

-AJ

I just read

My hobby will only allow one wife at a time, and......

I need to go home, didn't get enough sleep last night, dang grants... :dazed::sleeping:

Stefan

I develop new hobbies every couple of years or so, my family is used to it. My wallet never really recovers.

Yah, I used to be hugely into paintball. I had half a dozen high end markers, and all the fixin's to go with it.... then I had a second kid....and a third. Needless to say, my gear sat for several seasons, almost untouched. Eventually, I sold it all off on ebay, except for my one favorite woods-ball marker (Tippman A-5, fully customized).

But, I think, being a chef and restaurateur, I will always have a passion for knives...they may just have to take a back seat from time to time.

Track driving. Just ordered new pads for front and rear, and scheduled a windshield replacement in preparation for an event in NY at the end of the month. Need to rebuild a caliper as well, and install new harnesses (they are only good for 5 years in our club, so figure $500 every 5 years for two). After that weekend it will be time for a new set of track tires in preparation for events in July and August. I also still play a bit of soccer, which thankfully only drains time and not too much $.

That is a great marker! Wooded games are my favorite.

I have only interest in the most practical things, I like things that perform well, no bells and whistles. I'm all about smart design, so my hobbies don't cost me as much as my peers. But for me, the hobbies are more about learning than anything else.

My new HD has become a very large money pit. It did pull 100lbs. of torque on the dyno after a few goodies,worth every penny.

For those who don't know, HD stands for Hundred Dollars. Every time you go into the dealership you spend at least another hundred dollars! What model is your new Harley?

I used to belong to a pistol league and shot NRA Bullseye weekly. It could have gotten pretty expensive in a hurry. I fly fish and it's not a poor man's recreation. I also have a HD, a Sportster. With a kid going to college I won't have much time for hobbies.

Sneakers.

Used to be big into customizing cars/trucks. Major fabrication, not just bolt ons.

I like one of my hobbies being knives because they are tools I use every day at work and help me with my craft.

My main hobby is cooking, and things related to that definitely make the money disappear the fastest. Why oh why must the money go so fast when it comes to food and wine? After that come the blade-related things: kitchen knives, folding knives and the latest addition, straight razors. I like some art stuff too--miniatures, drawing, pastels--but there's only so much time and money to go around, and these have taken a definite back seat of late.

In the summer, it's my Gen 1 FZ1. just got new rims and new rubber (for those that ride naked, Road 3's are sweet). AKA motorcycle guy - been riding for 21 years now. My last bike was a Roadstar and chrome was expensive - sold that bike when I had to pay $2K/month for daycare. At least now the biking hobby is just minor tweaks + my time to wrench what I can.... 160+HP, 85+fpt is enough to get me to work in 30KM/H traffic. I've got 2 boys, so camping and soccer coaching keeps me busy when I'm not working or riding.

Winter... eh. I download a lot of movies, cook a lot of great food, entertain a lot, and scour the internet and bug my friends for new recipes.

Oh, bicycles too. But I have a good stable already so I don't buy much stuff for them, just tubes and some new shorts now and then.

Dogs. Wine. Skiing. Traveling. Do kids count as a hobby? I guess they can be fun . . .

Joe

I got too many hobbys, My Boss/ love of my life hates it! But with the long hours I do it's the only think that helps me unwind, I say to my self " better then going out drinking"

Knives are my hobby but record collecting is my passion. For the last two years I've even started putting out my own records (yes, they still make records!). It's a total money pit that will never, ever show a profit but it's fun. I won't be buying knives for a while, we're releasing our first LP this month with another immediately following!

As my six-year old says "Golf, wine, meat, repeat." Picked up adventure/crossfit racing couple a years ago...knives are the new kid...the cellar is full so I needed something to toy with while I drink it down. Immediately bought four new knives, the edge pro (with choseras of course), stropping stuff...and I slice anything not living in the house. Hobby OCD sucks.......

For those who don't know, HD stands for Hundred Dollars. Every time you go into the dealership you spend at least another hundred dollars! What model is your new Harley?

I used to belong to a pistol league and shot NRA Bullseye weekly. It could have gotten pretty expensive in a hurry. I fly fish and it's not a poor man's recreation. I also have a HD, a Sportster. With a kid going to college I won't have much time for hobbies.

I picked up a street glide with the 103" power package. And about the the wife,I never ask permission......only forgiveness!

And about the the wife,I never ask permission......only forgiveness!
LOL, classic! This turned out to be a great thread! Its good to get a story behind the avatar... I would say my kids are probably my number one hobby, too; especially if you factor time spent into the equation...

I just scooped up a new car and ditched the big SUV, so I haven't been lurking much lately. Maybe after I get a Stillen intake and catback, I'll get a hankering for a knife again! LOL

Can anyone else here afford another hobby besides knives???

I had a 2002 Maxima SE with a Stillen Hi Flow Intake. My MPG was 3 - 5 MPG better than without it, and had very noticeable improvement in power without any exhaust modifications.

Better MPG? Awesome, I can use the old "it'll pay for itself" speech, when I tell the wifey of my new purchase! LOL, (I don't have it like Mario yet as the wife still makes a pretty darn good living and feels she has some right to know where her money goes????)...

Yep, everything pays for itself. If you buy 100 LED lights, and claim you'll use them for 20 years around the house, you can pretty much get whatever custom knife you want right now!

Hmm, eating, coffee, cooking, knives, cycling, gaming (cheapest hobby of all time, less than 10% of the price of a movie if you get the right games), fancy coloured diamond collecting.

That last one is new. Haven't started yet. But getting there. Ahem. Eventually.

I have many hobbies myself. As stated by a member earlier- I like making things. Im getting interested in making rings. I am reading a few books on the subject and watched a few videos. I have atleast 2-3 hobbies cooking at once. Sometimes I feel I need to focus on one at a time, when I do and after a few weeks of doing one thing, i need to shift gears and do something else for a little while. As far as expenditures- well me wife - thats another story.lol-Mark

Iv had many hobbies, now days its just knives, mainly pocket knives, my kitchen knife colection is pretty good and not lacking. Im sure it will evolve into somthing else like my other hobbies have.

Guitars, (I've sold most) Guns, (They come and go. The cops still have 3, long story.) Motorcycles, (Two working, one not) Photography, (I'm trying to kold down the expenses) PC Gaming, (I'm semi retired. FNG for life) Tae Kwon Do and Hap ki do (I've been practicing for 30 years, stopped the belt process 25 years ago at high red. Still regret not getting the black)

Bout it. Used to be a boater. 34 ft cruiser. Want to talk about expensive?

One of my neighbors bought this 26-27 foot powerboat. We never went far in it because it cost 800 dollars to fill up the tank. Boats are money pits. I haven't used my Chris Craft in 5 years.

Back