My Za'atar

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Logan

Reaction score
This is a modification of the Lebonese Za'atar recipe from Silk Road. I toast un-hulled (brown) sesame seeds as I think it is better flavor wise, I omit the salt and I grind it into a powder as I am not partial to whole sesame.

• 6 tablespoon dried thyme
  • 6 tablespoon sesame seeds toasted
  • 4 tablespoon ground sumac

MarcelNL

professional blame taker
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
is that all there is to Za'ater? wow, would never have thought that...all the ingredients are in house and of great qulaity, so why buy it.
Thanks for that 'Gedankenanstoss'

Logan

Reaction score
There are many different formulas and I'm sure there are better but this is very tasty and super easy. Sumac is pretty interesting stuff.

MarcelNL

professional blame taker
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sumac is great stuff!
I knew it was a part of Zaátar but never knew the whole mix was this simple...just reinfirces that simple is usually good!

sansho

(͡° ͜ʖ°͡)
Reaction score
zaatar can refer to the herb ("thyme") and, more commonly, to the mix of zaatar, sesame seeds, sumac, and whatever else you like to put in it.

thing is, zaatar isn't thyme. it's a relative of thyme, but the taste isn't the same. you can make it with thyme if you have no other option, though. better than nothing. it ain't zaatar, though.

i know a thing or two about this as i have family from the region it comes from. one of my relatives has a pretty sweet garden over there including many wild-gathered specimens of zaatar, each with subtly different flavors.

if you're in the US, i can recommend a good supplier:

i have no affiliation. but it is the best source i've personally found stateside. it rivals the better stuff i used to bring back myself from lebanon.

i'm open to trying other suppliers though, so if anyone has other recommendations, i'd like to hear it. i just stopped looking personally since i am satisfied with this stuff.

Jovidah

Vocal amateur
Reaction score
is that all there is to Za'ater? wow, would never have thought that...all the ingredients are in house and of great qulaity, so why buy it.
Thanks for that 'Gedankenanstoss'
No you don't have all the ingredients in the house.
thing is, zaatar isn't thyme. it's a relative of thyme, but the taste isn't the same. you can make it with thyme if you have no other option, though. better than nothing. it ain't zaatar, though.
Exactly. But in the west they usually make some kind of approximation mix with the herbs they already have in their supply chain.