Myojin SG2 240 - Impressions (Update 2)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is time to give Homebutcher some huge credit - not only was their intl postage cheap, it was also bloody quick - arrived before midday in London here following postage on Monday. Would definitely buy again from them.

My very quick first impressions are positive, with the exception of a strangely tight fitting box that needed to be pried apart. OOTB edge seems good (tested on some defenceless peppers and tomatoes), with a grind that feels reassuringly solid and yet still thin enough. Choil and spine are shiny, but a little less comfortably angular than expected. Looking forward to some more testing.

I’d like to say the pink/purple fantasy arse-grape staff of a handle has grown on me. Perhaps it does look slightly better in the flesh, plus it’s clearly well made and there’s been creditable effort to keep a slightly forward balance point. In isolation, it might even look vaguely acceptable (if I was a Barbara Cartland fan with a toy poodle), but mix it with other more sober blades and it looks ridiculous, like the office joker in a clown suit at a client meeting. Needs to go…

Last edited:
It is time to give Homebutcher some huge credit - not only was their intl postage cheap, it was also bloody quick - arrived before midday in London here following postage on Monday. Would definitely buy again from them.

My very quick first impressions are positive, with the exception of a strangely tight fitting box that needed to be pried apart. OOTB edge seems good (tested on some defenceless peppers and tomatoes), with a grind that feels reassuringly solid and yet still thin enough. Choil and spine are shiny, but a little less comfortably angular than expected. Looking forward to some more testing.

I’d like to say the pink/purple fantasy arse-grape staff of a handle has grown on me. Perhaps it does look slightly better in the flesh, plus it’s clearly well made and there’s been creditable effort to keep a slightly forward balance point. In isolation, it might even look vaguely acceptable (if I was a Barbara Cartland fan with a toy poodle), but mix it with other more sober blades and it looks ridiculous, like the office joker in a clown suit at a client meeting. Needs to go…

Huh, shipped on Monday from Texas to UK and you have yours in hand. Meanwhile mine also shipped on Monday from Texas to Phoenix and is currently knocking around in Tennessee?!?! Maybe tomorrow it’ll be in Atlanta before they realize it’s going in the wrong direction.

Was very tempted by these but just couldn't get past the appallingly fuggly handles. Even when it is tastefully done I really don't like resin or overly resin stabilized handles as I usually find them too slippery.

Look forward to your full impressions!

Huh, shipped on Monday from Texas to UK and you have yours in hand. Meanwhile mine also shipped on Monday from Texas to Phoenix and is currently knocking around in Tennessee?!?! Maybe tomorrow it’ll be in Atlanta before they realize it’s going in the wrong direction.
I’m wondering if they shipped with FedEx. I had some bad experiences with them recently…

Yup FedEx. Tracking says scheduled for delivery today but still shows in Tennessee, so I have my doubts.
Wow it really is FedEx. Good luck…
Their tracking mostly didn’t work and my wines were delivered 3 days late with the risk of being cooked by the temperature. Fortunately they did deliver…

Was very tempted by these but just couldn't get past the appallingly fuggly handles. Even when it is tastefully done I really don't like resin or overly resin stabilized handles as I usually find them too slippery.
I was with you, but then the sheer ridiculousness of the price and discount increasingly weighed on my mind, rendering my big mouth slack (way too late) and causing me to pull the trigger. Handles can be replaced and I’ve been raised never to look a gift horse in the mouth, even if it does look laughably My Little Pony

I don’t think you will ever see the home butcher prices again, but I bet you will be happy with it

I’m gonna regret not pulling the trigger on that pink/purple monstrosity. Wonder why it was so cheap

FWIW I’m definitely not regretting my purchase, even if the handle remains utterly horrible. Even FedEx were grand here, somehow whisking the parcel to the UK within a couple of days, untroubled by any oadditional customs duties - the first parcel for many months to sneak in this way and a pleasant surprise. Perhaps there is something mystically powerful in the purple resin that brings luck to the beholder of this abominable handle. Or, more likely, customs/UPS were so bemused/amused by the awfulness of the design that they were minded to let the sorry thing go.

ETA a belated huge thank you to @parbaked, who selflessly provided the code for the 25% discount which tipped me over the edge. Much appreciated.

Last edited:
I snagged the 210 he posted the next day which had a normal handle. Unfortunately no discount code but atleast I won’t need to swap any handles 🤣
Let me know if you don't like it and want to let it go!

I had the same thought when I saw it, finally a "normal" looking handle, haha

I snagged the 210 he posted the next day which had a normal handle. Unfortunately no discount code but atleast I won’t need to swap any handles 🤣

Someone else told me that the next day, which I’ll admit was a little annoying. Still, if I can return some bitter-tasting fire into your cornflakes, the same (lovely) poster in question also mentioned that they also managed to get another 25% off code working too..
(ha, mystic pink handled knife makes me bitchy, girlfriend…)

Still, glad for anyone who picked up a Myojin at anywhere near these prices. We‘re all made of gaudy, technicolour win…

Interesting that Home Butcher prices Myojin and Yu Kurosaki SG2 the same

I 100% agree with you about HOMEBUTCHER.!!!!!

I recently dealt with them … ABSOLUTELY AMAZING TRANSACTION WITH A FIRST RATE COMPANY!!!!

Their knives are unique and certainly worth a visit to their online store (if you can’t get there in person).

I 100% agree with you about HOMEBUTCHER.!!!!!

I recently dealt with them … ABSOLUTELY AMAZING TRANSACTION WITH A FIRST RATE COMPANY!!!!

Their knives are unique and certainly worth a visit to their online store (if you can’t get there in person).

Steady on chap, I’m British and more restrained than shouty. But yes, I can indeed praise their decent and professional service on this particular occasion. Nice one butcher folks

Sadly I’m not quite convinced that the ’unique‘ nature of their blades, particularly re. handle choices, is always overwhelmingly a posItIve thing here. If you do have a route or special way to get through to the proprietor, please pass on my apologies for being somewhat rude, but I found some of those eye-blindindly vulgar., Please also assure him that I very much bought in spite of the handle choice, not because of it. Thanks very much and toodle pip!

PS: I appreciate that I may come across as an old fuddy-duddy, way out of step with modern ways. If there really is a thriving market for these things In Texas, rhinestone cowboys aplenty, itching to chop with gaudy pastel coloured fantasy knives late into the night - no doubts singing heartily to Dolly Parton - then let me apologise

PPS: I would also advise against HomeButcher stocking blades from Jiro. Just a thought!

Mine finally arrived today. Oddly enough the FedEx guy first dropped a package for my wife, then a few hours came back around with my knife. Go figure.

Anyway, my wife thinks it’s gorgeous which is good because mainly I thought a 180 would be handy for her and I’ve been dying to get her off her ancient 6” Henckels. Edge seems moderately sharp but a bit inconsistent OOTB so I’m going to do a light touch up on a 4k before using this weekend. I don’t see obvious lacquer on the blade but I’ll take my cue from you guys and wipe it down with acetone anyway.

No two colors of the red, green, and yellow handle are complementary and somehow all three together manage to create 3 factorials worth of clashing, but for the price I’m not complaining and my wife loves it so what do I know anyway.

Steady on chap, I’m British and more restrained than shouty. But yes, I can indeed praise their decent and professional service on this particular occasion. Nice one butcher folks

Sadly I’m not quite convinced that the ’unique‘ nature of their blades, particularly re. handle choices, is always overwhelmingly a posItIve thing here. If you do have a route or special way to get through to the proprietor, please pass on my apologies for being somewhat rude, but I found some of those eye-blindindly vulgar., Please also assure him that I very much bought in spite of the handle choice, not because of it. Thanks very much and toodle pip!

PS: I appreciate that I may come across as an old fuddy-duddy, way out of step with modern ways. If there really is a thriving market for these things In Texas, rhinestone cowboys aplenty, itching to chop with gaudy pastel coloured fantasy knives late into the night - no doubts singing heartily to Dolly Parton - then let me apologise

PPS: I would also advise against HomeButcher stocking blades from Jiro. Just a thought!

Van’t argue with you about some of the handles. Not for me either. But look at what’s “sold/out of stock” … most of the traditional handles are first to go. … My purchase was a traditional WA handle.

O was referring to he blades and smiths.

I’m a pretty pretty straight forward handle guy. Nothing like a nice burl maple or walnut etc.

Just sharpened mine up. After looking at the almost invisible bevel - seriously that thing was tiny - I decided to go ahead and put my own edge on. So I did SG1k and SG4k. I only own one other R2 knife (Shiro Kamo) and can’t say that I noticed it took much longer to raise an initial bevel but I’m a very inexperienced sharpener and the Kamo is both larger (210mm) and thicker so those are all factors.

There was a little bit of weirdness right at the very very end of the heel that I’ve noticed with some other OOTB edges. The factory bevel sometimes ends a tiny fraction of a mm before the very end. Every time I get a new knife I swear I’m going to check for that before sharpening and I always forget, and it results in me wondering why I’m getting a burr starting ~2” from the heel but not all the way. It’s because that little tiny unsharpened bump raises up the heel a tiny tiny fraction.

Aside from that it was pretty much business as usual and now I’m ready to apply some acetone.

BTW my wife asked what the steel was and I told her the core was R2 and the cladding was… and she immediately popped out with “D2?” So she’s now calling the Myojin “R2D2”, which suits the colors at least.

How is the fit and finish compared with Kurosaki and other mid-range R2 knives?

Just sharpened mine up. After looking at the almost invisible bevel - seriously that thing was tiny - I decided to go ahead and put my own edge on. So I did SG1k and SG4k. I only own one other R2 knife (Shiro Kamo) and can’t say that I noticed it took much longer to raise an initial bevel but I’m a very inexperienced sharpener and the Kamo is both larger (210mm) and thicker so those are all factors.

There was a little bit of weirdness right at the very very end of the heel that I’ve noticed with some other OOTB edges. The factory bevel sometimes ends a tiny fraction of a mm before the very end. Every time I get a new knife I swear I’m going to check for that before sharpening and I always forget, and it results in me wondering why I’m getting a burr starting ~2” from the heel but not all the way. It’s because that little tiny unsharpened bump raises up the heel a tiny tiny fraction.

Aside from that it was pretty much business as usual and now I’m ready to apply some acetone.

BTW my wife asked what the steel was and I told her the core was R2 and the cladding was… and she immediately popped out with “D2?” So she’s now calling the Myojin “R2D2”, which suits the colors at least.
Probably ever so slight overgrind at the heel. I've seen quite a few knives like that. Nothing to worry about.

DB42B22E-CF52-44CF-9F26-40CC18027EA7.jpeg
344431F0-462D-4852-9F22-B99978A2513C.jpeg
9C0A1456-063C-4D5B-B372-577F8A5D942C.jpeg

My very first cuts with my 180mm Myojin today. Gotta say I love it. It feels well-balanced and solid in hand and on the board, and yet has smooth laserish performance similar to my Yoshi and Kurosaki. For reference, I sharpen with a conservative 15dps edge. This is my first 180mm and I think it’s a keeper.

My very first cuts with my 180mm Myojin today. Gotta say I love it. It feels well-balanced and solid in hand and on the board, and yet has smooth laserish performance similar to my Yoshi and Kurosaki. For reference, I sharpen with a conservative 15dps edge. This is my first 180mm and I think it’s a keeper.

That's some great movements on the board!
Yeah 15 is conservative. I normally do 8-12 degrees per side with carbon steel, and I think the FM white 1 I had was also in that range ootb.

By the way was there any knife lacquer on yours?

Back