Myojin SG2 240 - Impressions (Update 2)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sharpened mine yesterday on Chosera 3000. This knife does feel super stiff, dense and glassy on the stone. For knife this thin it almost feels weird for how stiff it is when I applied the pressure on the edge on the stone. The Kono FMs which have similar geometry don’t feel as stiff. The cutting feeling is quite similar to FM as expected. Food release could be improved though. The surface of the myojin is very polished and it can suck thinner slice sometimes IME. The edge retention is good but after about 20 minutes mine can no longer cut paper towel cleanly, nonetheless the edge is still toothy. I’ll work on my sharpening to see if I can improve it.

Last edited:
ok so i reached out first time for the myojin.

first thing i tried to wipe the blade with acetone, but i didn't noticed any lacquer on it. next i sharpened it with SP1K and Chosera 3K. sharpening took maybe an extra pass or too then i usual do but nothing crazy. not fun to deburr as carbon but its understandable.

i only test cut on very limited ingredients, but its very well made and have a high end feel similar to kono FM.
its feel like a good cutter but food sticking is on the annoying side, need to test it more..

A688870D-5468-45F6-9B9D-C4DB1183052D.jpeg

So the grind is great just as expected. However, the knife came with a hard coat of knife lacquer, which made everything stuck. I had to wait until it wears down before testing seriously (even acetone was not very effective in removing that, please let me know if anyone has a better solution...).

I found that acetone would loosen up the lacquer, but if you didnt wipe it clean off, then it would just move it around to another part of the blade. My most effective solution was to use acetone, but do each successive pass with a clean part of your rag. That way you dont put any removed lacquer from the rag back onto the blade.

just got mine from K&S AU. it had the lacquer. i removed it with alcohol and paper towels (alternating between solvent and dry towel). it took several rounds of wiping and drying with fresh paper towel each time.

Last edited:
does anyone else's have tiny scratches right along the edge? mine are only on the left side (stamped SGII). hrm

PXL_20211105_223940893.jpg

IMG_20211105_175023.jpg
IMG_20211104_232802.jpg
PXL_20211105_224657146.jpg

I found that acetone would loosen up the lacquer, but if you didnt wipe it clean off, then it would just move it around to another part of the blade. My most effective solution was to use acetone, but do each successive pass with a clean part of your rag. That way you dont put any removed lacquer from the rag back onto the blade.
Thanks for sharing. I did observe the spreading effect. And some very thin spreads took a lot of rounds to wipe up.

Oh well. Guessing it's just a minor cosmetic issue...

I just stumbled on this thread and missed the Myojin train but all I can say is that those are some SEXY handles

But then again I live in San Antonio not too far from the HomeButcher, must be something in the water..

does anyone else's have tiny scratches right along the edge? mine are only on the left side (stamped SGII).

reply from K&S:

K&S said:
Those vertical micro scratches seem to be trace of sharpening on water stone wheel. They should goes away soon after you start sharpening the knife.

i have the same scratches pattern...assumed it was from the sharpening

Got a KnS 240 earlier this week and used it yesterday for the first time. Considering how bad the packaging was and that the actual knife box was nearly broken in half when I got it... The knife itself was in good shape with no damage fortunately.

I was blown away by its cutting performance last night on some Yukon potatoes, it's a great knife!

lol. yeah my knife's inner box's seams were split. the outer packaging was just folded over and taped up cardboard (not a real outer box). knife was fine though.

The tip of this knife is my favorite part, really outstanding. Also like the blade stiffness. The food release is the only main weakness for me, it’s kind of improved after I used it more.

overall it’s probably one of best choices for stainless gyuto.

Reactions: JDC
The tip of this knife is my favorite part, really outstanding. Also like the blade stiffness. The food release is the only main weakness for me, it’s kind of improved after I used it more.

overall it’s probably one of best choices for stainless gyuto.
My only knife that beats it is a hisamoto tf mab I reground. Even more laser like cutting and better food release. But it feels unfair because the mab has a zero grind and the edge holding is far worse than the Myojin.

Make sense, also TF white 1 gets sharper. I have maboroshi as well, but the myojin grinds is far superior ( if i compare to the usual TF grind…which vary a lot)

Did anyone else who ordered the KnS Myojin that dropped recently receive their knife without the advertised wenge saya? I received my knife a couple of weeks ago but was so busy at the time I didn't even think about the saya until a couple of days ago. My knife did not come with a saya although it was advertised. The odd thing though is that there were pictures of the saya on the aussie site but on the US site where I ordered there were no pictures yet it was in the description.

Did anyone else who ordered the KnS Myojin that dropped recently receive their knife without the advertised wenge saya? I received my knife a couple of weeks ago but was so busy at the time I didn't even think about the saya until a couple of days ago. My knife did not come with a saya although it was advertised. The odd thing though is that there were pictures of the saya on the aussie site but on the US site where I ordered there were no pictures yet it was in the description.
I'd shoot a quick question to KnS. They're usually pretty responsive on this type of stuff.

i got it from AU KnS. came with saya as advertised.

Back