• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Myojin SG2 240

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esoo

┐⁠(⁠ ⁠∵⁠ ⁠)⁠┌
KKF Lifetime Supporter KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Essentially a catch and release on this one (cut two cucumbers, one carrot and one onion). Purchased from Homebutcher just before New Years and isn't quite jiving with me. And since I just impulse bought something else, this needs to go to make room.

233mm (straight from heel to tip) x 51mm, 196g

Out of the box this had lacquer on it, and was fairly dull (wouldn't cut paper towel). Lacquer was removed and I did a sharpening on it.

Would like to do $535CAD (~$418USD) $500CAD (~$398USD) $480CAD (~$377USD) shipped to Canada/ConUS. Outside Canada/ConUS I cover the first $15CAD of the shipping. Discount given for local Toronto area pickup

Box has some small dents in it (came that way)
20220118_130906.jpg

20220118_130915.jpg

20220118_130939.jpg

20220118_131059.jpg

Last edited:
First of all, GLWS! I've been seeing this knife a lot rarely and it has piqued my interest. Unfortunately I can't afford it right now. I was wondering, do you know who is the blacksmith?

It is unknown at this point in time. It has been speculated that these are stamped SG2 but CKtG lists them as hammer forged on their site, so I don't know. So long as they have been heat-treated well (which seems to be the consensus), it is more about the sharpener anyways.

It is unknown at this point in time. It has been speculated that these are stamped SG2 but CKtG lists them as hammer forged on their site, so I don't know. So long as they have been heat-treated well (which seems to be the consensus), it is more about the sharpener anyways.
The sharpener is really good, no question about it. So the performance is gonna be there for sure. Thanks for your reply and good luck with your sale!

Confirmed with James from KnS they are indeed stamped. But I have heard they are very hard which is nice. GLWS

Real Sharp Knife lists them as 64-64 which is a bit harder than your standard SG2. I sharpened them on Shapton Glass and the knife took a edge very easily in my estimation.

Real Sharp Knife lists them as 64-64 which is a bit harder than your standard SG2. I sharpened them on Shapton Glass and the knife took a edge very easily in my estimation.
Besides something in ZDP, this would be the only other stainless knife I think I'd grab. Can't stand seeing stuff especially stainless at lower than optimal hardness

One thing to note (besides the performance) is that the kasumi on the stainless cladding looks very very nice in person, and can't really be captured in photos. Even more amazing is that it's on stainless

I received one of these about 6 weeks ago. Used it to prep/produce an event over the past 3-4 days. It's an amazing slicer! Mine is super thin behind the edge (nail flexer). I was working under pressure and using the -worst- cutting boards throughout this experience. Near the end of the production, I didn't have a deba at hand and had to debone a Madai with it on-the-fly (cut through feather bones and bumped into a few rib bones), and even after all the abuse, was still able to shave serranos & jalapenos beautifully. The edge does 'catch' a touch sometimes, but IME this knife flexes instead of chips.

I had used the knife at home for a couple weeks beforehand, experimenting with different sharpening angles. I found a nice balance in that this geometry allows for a steep and strong (read:safe) micro bevel that is able to preserve high performance and still ghost through tomato skins and scallions after a lot of board contact.

This SG2 is as good as my S. Tanaka. I understand these are stamped, and the finish certainly reflects that: the only thing I don't really really enjoy about my Myojin is the sort of lack of forged-by-one-smith presentation. But I did not buy mine for the looks. And if a blade is not forged then it should be authentic and not look forged. I wanted a stainless performer and I could not be more pleased with what I received.

I received one of these about 6 weeks ago. Used it to prep/produce an event over the past 3-4 days. It's an amazing slicer! Mine is super thin behind the edge (nail flexer). I was working under pressure and using the -worst- cutting boards throughout this experience. Near the end of the production, I didn't have a deba at hand and had to debone a Madai with it on-the-fly (cut through feather bones and bumped into a few rib bones), and even after all the abuse, was still able to shave serranos & jalapenos beautifully. The edge does 'catch' a touch sometimes, but IME this knife flexes instead of chips.

I had used the knife at home for a couple weeks beforehand, experimenting with different sharpening angles. I found a nice balance in that this geometry allows for a steep and strong (read:safe) micro bevel that is able to preserve high performance and still ghost through tomato skins and scallions after a lot of board contact.

This SG2 is as good as my S. Tanaka. I understand these are stamped, and the finish certainly reflects that: the only thing I don't really really enjoy about my Myojin is the sort of lack of forged-by-one-smith presentation. But I did not buy mine for the looks. And if a blade is not forged then it should be authentic and not look forged. I wanted a stainless performer and I could not be more pleased with what I received.

Totally agree, I love my 180 myojin. I don’t know all the ins and outs of what makes great fit & finish, but every time I pick mine up something about it just screams quality.

Hard to believe this one is still here. With the latest price drop it’s really a steal.

First of all, GLWS! I've been seeing this knife a lot rarely and it has piqued my interest. Unfortunately I can't afford it right now. I was wondering, do you know who is the blacksmith?
I believe myojin forged and sharpened this series of knives. He is not just a sharpener you know.

I believe myojin forged and sharpened this series of knives. He is not just a sharpener you know.
Agreed, I spoke with one retailer and with this line Myojin is in control of each phase of production but I think with SG2 you get blanks, not sure how much forging would be happening (not that it affects end performance). Fantastic knife and great steel

Back