• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Nakagawa (Morihiro) Ginsan 240mm w/ K&S Heart Handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tostadas

Hobbyist / Craftsman
Reaction score
240mm Nakagawa Ginsan, sharpened by Morihiro
Upgraded K&S heart-shaped ebony with blond horn handle

Used for 5 meals at home, and did a few swipes on an aoto when I first received it. I upgraded to the K&S heart shaped ebony handle because I really like the one on my Myojin. On this knife, I asked for the shorter version of the handle that they label as for a 210mm gyuto in order to keep a more forward balance which I think worked perfectly. The knife is a solid midweight contender without the wedging that typically comes with the size. Profile is an all-around one that has some flat spot near the heel and a medium amount of rise toward the tip. The choil came rounded and polished on both sides.

The knife still has the original lacquer coating. A bit of it on the left side near the edge has worn off as you can see in the photo (they're not scuffs or scratches).

$390 $375 $360 shipped & insured within US (international we can discuss)
Includes original box

Dimensions
Blade length: 230mm
Height at Heel: 50mm
Weight: 216g
Balance: approx 20mm forward

Spine Thickness
Heel: 3.2mm
1cm from Tip: 0.8mm

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

Last edited:
Even full "stainless" rusts. These are high carbon which pull free chromium from solution. Ginsan is actually one of the easier to rust stainless knives. Only way to guarantee rust proof is with a nitrogen alloy basically

Is this knife the same as Kagekiyo Ginsan?
I believe Nakagawa and Morihiro are the same smith/sharpener combo that makes the ginsan for Kagekiyo. Also, from what I've seen, Kagekiyo likes to use lacquer coated handles, while this particular one has a K&S heart shaped handle. Handles are very much personal preference, but to answer your question, I think the blades themselves would be very similar if not identical between the two.

Back