Nakagawa Recommendation?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fashioned

Reaction score
I'm interested in Nakagawa recommendations. I've been curious about trying a gyuto forged by him. I already have a Blue 2 from Tetsujin and a Blue 1 from Y. Tanaka.
Aside from the differences in the sharpeners, is there a discernible difference in Blue 1 and Blue 2 from Nakagawa? Just wondering what users have found to be differences/preferences. Thanks

I have had 3 Nakagawas in my brief knife history

B1 Damascus: Very nice, but I would say Y Tanaka (in the Konosuke FM version) is a tiny bit better. But honestly its almost splitting hairs.

According to Nakagawa ,u knife was sharpened by Mirohiro (one of his apretinces I would guess considering the knife was currently made)

As a side note I ended up selling this one because it would not fit my "style", if that makes any sense....

Shirogami 2 Honyaki: The migoto cutlery version, an absolut assassin. If you can get something like this, dont hesitate

Ginsan: Amazing all around knife, high carbon experience with the benefits of stainless. One of my favortite knives when I have long BBQs and dont want to worry about the knife

And yes, I will get more nakagawa knives once I get my collection to a decent number....

Cheers!

Blue 1 done by the best craftsmen in Sakai are so close in heat treatment that it doesn’t matter who the blacksmith was. Yoshikazu Tanaka vs satoshi nakagawa is irrelevant.

But the sharpener does matter. The type of grind does matter. And depending on what you are planning to cut the most, you should prioritize your grind preferences.

What kind of cutting do you do the most? Detailed precision cuts? Rapid chopping where food release must be good? Non wedging? It’s a question of convex vs wide bevels vs lasers

It seems most only refer to Blue 1 , or AS, and don't mention Blue 2. Why is that?
In my experience, blue 1 is what these Sakai blacksmiths do the best. When it comes to AS, I don’t look further than Denka. One could argue that their blue 1 is better than their AS. And when it comes to their blue 2, it falls very much behind their blue 1.

It seems most only refer to Blue 1 , or AS, and don't mention Blue 2. Why is that?
There’s quite a lot of knives in blue 2 being made in Sakai, but the more high end knives tend to be in blue 1, especially with Mr. Tanaka as well as Mr. Nakagawa who forge more knives in blue 1 than in blue 2. AS is much rarer as Mr. Tanaka is the only smith in Sakai who’s working with it, so those knives would catch some attention here.
The blue 2 of both is fantastic, probably my favorite steel together with AS from TF. Easier to sharpen than blue 1, although Mr. Nakagawa’s blue 1 is from my experience a little bit softer than Mr. Tanaka’s and thus nicer on the stones but edge retention and absolute sharpness is less. His silver 3 (ginsan) is outstanding too, as has been mentioned before.

Last edited:
Back