Nakiri Decisions: Heiji or TF direct

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Nakiri should I buy?

• Heiji Nakiri (not sure what steel)

Votes: 23 79.3%
  • TF Nashiji

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters

nakiriknaifuwaifu

Reaction score
please help me I am terminally ill and cannot stop buying nakiri

I like TF steel (have a denka gyuto but want a TF nakiri), but intrigued by the positive things I see about Heiji

Last edited:
Not an answer to your question but, I would look very seriously at the Watanabe Pro Blue #2 Nakiri.

I have, and I almost bought a few. For some reason it doesn't interest me anymore. Also I'm not interested in 180mm nakiri.

@Marek07 if I could buy both, I would have already :p
Also, interesting you put the vote in for the nashiji over the denka. Would you like to sell me your denka nakiri?

@Alder26 do you know the price direct for a swedish Heiji 165mm nakiri?

Can't give my thoughts yet, but I just got a 180mm Wat pro. They do make a 165, but it's also ku. I'll add my thoughts to the nakiri thread once I've used it a bit.

Doesn't the Heiji have Ku? It actually looks very similar to the TF finish.
1603693877564.png

I'm be interested in the one without (migaki).

@4wa1l they have a good rep on here, I hope you enjoy yours. Looking forward to seeing the write-up. Yes it does have a KU finish, but since it's on stainless it's an artificial KU (or as I call it, a pickled KU) as far as I'm concerned. It does look good though.

The TF Hisamoto KU finish on the other hand is not the greatest from what I've seen. @Corradobrit1 you've mentioned your love for that knife many times, I'm just not sure I'd like it the same.

@BillHanna

Last edited:
The KU is way more stable than I expected. It’s washed away the RoseArt look, thanks to a green scrubby the first week of washing.

View attachment 100320

I'm be interested in the one without (migaki).

@4wa1l they have a good rep on here, I hope you enjoy yours. Looking forward to seeing the write-up. Yes it does have a KU finish, but since it's on stainless it's an artificial KU (or as I call it, a pickled KU) as far as I'm concerned. It does look good though.

The TF Hisamoto KU finish on the other hand is not the greatest from what I've seen. @Corradobrit1 you've mentioned your love for that knife many times, I'm just not sure I'd like it the same.

@BillHanna
The migaki is definitely more refined, so I can see why rustic ku might turn you off.

This is easy: Buy both. The TF will come in a few weeks and the Heiji will come in 3-4 months. Once you get the Heiji just keep whichever one you like better....

I have, and I almost bought a few. For some reason it doesn't interest me anymore. Also I'm not interested in 180mm nakiri.

@Marek07 if I could buy both, I would have already :p
Also, interesting you put the vote in for the nashiji over the denka. Would you like to sell me your denka nakiri?

@Alder26 do you know the price direct for a swedish Heiji 165mm nakiri?

I haven't gotten a quote from Heiji in about a year so his prices could have gone up, but last time I looked it was ~18,000yen for a 180mm nakiri. Which I suppose is similar to Nashiji from TF but much cheaper than denka and maboroshi. I also enjoy Heiji's carbon steel more than Nashiji or maboroshi.

I sold my Heiji, but it’s heel is less high than Toyama - below 55 as I recall, be 57 mm Toyama

I think the wait time for Heiji Nakiri is about 4 months - from others who have ordered from them, as above, if they elect to reply - they never respond back to me😢

They do have a SS Nakiri in KU finish - I have the SS Santoku - it’s a beautiful KU more like a Hinoura KU finish and Shigefusa - kind of a smooth dark KU, than a TF

Practicality of SS is also good, as the carbon was super reactive

I attach a pic below to illustrate Heiji KU
CCCC8784-EA9D-4485-A394-F858A53D3FE6.jpeg
61386CDE-76E5-4F0E-8A5E-2CA14EAAC31E.jpeg

Heiji will be a knife that you know will need some lovin' with sandpaper to round and smooth the spine and choil, possibly other spots. The spine will be straight. The bevels will be somewhat even. The handle is fully attached 100% of the time. And the handle is even worth keeping.

I had no problems with my Heiji - but I got through a retailer

I was more worried about my issues with Denka - but forum folks helped me out with what to say to Gaku

I sold my Heiji, but it’s heel is less high than Toyama - below 55 as I recall, be 57 mm Toyama

I think the wait time for Heiji Nakiri is about 4 months - from others who have ordered from them, as above, if they elect to reply - they never respond back to me😢

They do have a SS Nakiri in KU finish - I have the SS Santoku - it’s a beautiful KU more like a Hinoura KU finish and Shigefusa - kind of a smooth dark KU, than a TF

Practicality of SS is also good, as the carbon was super reactive

I attach a pic below to illustrate Heiji KU
View attachment 100351View attachment 100352

It looks like there's a Nashiji finish just begging to come out under that... ;)

Don't etch it without protecting the KU if you don't like my "by-title"... Me I just luuuuv destroying Kurouchis. Although not the one I'm about to get - this one will stay.

Don't etch it without protecting the KU if you don't like my "by-title"... Me I just luuuuv destroying Kurouchis. Although not the one I'm about to get - this one will stay.
Kato Ku?

Now you have me curious - dish it😂😂

Back