Nakiri ideal height?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@fatboylim I find that a home environment can become very cramped once you cross 10 ingredients per square meter of counter space available...

You are lucky to have a square meter of counter top available when the cutting board is used.

@Ruso including space for cutting board - at least it gives one a reason to hoard cutting boards in different sizes :)

I am thinking on idea of getting another Nakiri and while looking at the options I noticed that the height can vary quite a bit. There are some very short ones, gyuto/santoku like, and some are on a taller side.

So, what is the more tradition profile?

There is no set standard on the ideal height of a nakiri. The actual height varies from brand to brand (approx. 45-55 mm). And the one that you find to be 'ideal' will be based on your preference.

Having used to handling several el-cheapo Chinese-style cleavers, my ideal height of a nakiri would be somewhere in the 60-65 mm range which is significantly taller than traditional nakiri but significantly shorter than the typical Chinese-style cleavers.

AFAIK, there are no manufacturers who make nakiri in the 60-65 mm height range. So the only way for me to obtain one would be to have it custom-made.

P.S. Oh crap. Just noticed the date of the OP's post. Sorry, didn't mean to revive this old thread.

Thank you for the link, @Slim278. But the site won't load for some reason. My internet's working fine. I'll try again at a later time.

Having used to handling several el-cheapo Chinese-style cleavers, my ideal height of a nakiri would be somewhere in the 60-65 mm range which is significantly taller than traditional nakiri but significantly shorter than the typical Chinese-style cleavers.

Have you actually tried a nakiri in the 55-60 range?

There is no set standard on the ideal height of a nakiri. The actual height varies from brand to brand (approx. 45-55 mm). And the one that you find to be 'ideal' will be based on your preference.

AFAIK, there are no manufacturers who make nakiri in the 60-65 mm height range. So the only way for me to obtain one would be to have it custom-made.

P.S. Oh crap. Just noticed the date of the OP's post. Sorry, didn't mean to revive this old thread.
Thank you for your reply. I just had a trip in the time machine to the time when I thought nakiris are cool :D

Shiro Kamo 165mm is about 60mm, Watanabe Pro 180mm is about 60mm and Teruyasu Fujiwara Denka 195mm is about 65mm. There are a few manufacturers who make taller nakiris without going to 70+ mm like the Birgersson nakiris you linked.

Thank you for your reply. I just had a trip in the time machine to the time when I thought nakiris are cool :D

They ARE cool. Want it cooler? Let it sit in the refrigerator/freezer for a while...

@josemartinlopez
Thank you for the list! I checked out Shiro Kamo 165mm. The blade height is exactly at 60mm (good), but the handle appears to be angled upward (bad). Would you happen to know of any SRS15 nakiri of 60-65mm blade height? I decided to go with nonreactive metal.

Back