Name that one most underrated knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yoshikane SKD/White #2 gyuto is amazing imo. OK food release, but is very buttery through dense vegetables. The profile is on a flat side, but you can still rock it, which I do sometimes. I am pretty amateur, but compared to my other knives, heat treat is good enough for its price (definitely nothing special tbh). It's mostly the grind that I like.

What's good about it? Hadn't started my hobby back then before it was discontinued.
Pretty much perfect balance of performance and value. Cuts like butter and food release aint bad. Also sharpens up really quick and nice. And at that time it was priced sub $200 if I remember correctly.

I'll continue screaming WAKUI!!! :D

Here are my nashiji 270 gyuto and 150 petty with Masur birch handles.

IMG_5936.jpeg

Last edited:
Yoshikane SKD/White #2 gyuto is amazing imo. OK food release, but is very buttery through dense vegetables. The profile is on a flat side, but you can still rock it, which I do sometimes. I am pretty amateur, but compared to my other knives, heat treat is good enough for its price (definitely nothing special tbh). It's mostly the grind that I like.

I second the Yoshikane, #1 bang for the buck! Mine a 180mm w2, the grind seems to be plain flat but it cuts better than my more expensive knives. It’s cheap because looks like it’s from flat stock, no wavey forged cladding line, just a straight line. Probably a stock removal knife with no forging.

It is underrated because it’s too good. I dislike it somewhat because it gets into my justifications for more expensive knives.

When I compare knives, I leave out the Yoshikane on purpose, lol.

Would you say the SKD hammered and W#2 amekiri perform similarly?

I haven't used them, but have held them. The SKD is heftier and I prefer the extra weight in my hand versus the W#2.

I'll continue screaming WAKUI!!! :D

Here are my nashiji 270 gyuto and 150 petty with Masur birch handles.

View attachment 68881
+1

I have the Migaki, it is still one of the best performing knife for the Value.

Second, I like Anryu, it is one of the best knives for the money. Good heat treatment and good middle weight grind.

Honestly, I haven't held the SKD version, but I just assumed they are the same. I have the white #2 version and I love it! When I first tried the Yoshikane, I immediately thought to myself, "Why is this knife not the most recommended knife on subreddit and KKF already?".

Not Tanaka or Munetoshi or Wakui because it’s well known that these are excellent, although maybe Munetoshi for honyaki qualifies. Definitely Yoshikane and Kaeru; I’d also say blue steel forged in Tosa. I know some of the Tosa knives are by Tadayoshi who I believe is the Zakuri smith, others I have no idea who makes them but they’re the best around for butchery and specialized tasks. Not gyuto grinds, rustically constructed, but amazingly tough steel that takes a hell of an edge with ease.

Also maybe Shibata Kashima, looks to be an unremarkable laser in an unremarkable steel in a KS profile from a source of questionable reputation - but I kept it over the Tadatsuna, Suisin IH, the KS itself, and a few others. It’s always in my bag and when that’s the one I need nothing else will do.

Nope.

My SKD tsuchime is a thicker grind with excellent food release (and pretty thin behind the edge given It's thickness). It is said that some of them are much thinner but I have not seen this for myself.

The Amekiri is an altogether thinner knife.

Edited to add: my Yoshis perform better than my Kaeru (although at a higher price point).

Nope.

My SKD tsuchime is a thicker grind with excellent food release (and pretty thin behind the edge given It's thickness). It is said that some of them are much thinner but I have not seen this for myself.

The Amekiri is an altogether thinner knife.

Edited to add: my Yoshis perform better than my Kaeru (although at a higher price point).
I guess I'll have to buy the SKD version to try out now :LOL:

Back