Naniwa’s cheap flattening method

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galvaude

Reaction score
This post won't get a lot of replies but I just want to share it because some questions pop up from time to time about this.

A while ago after wearing out a diamond plate (CKTG cheap one) I bought a Naniwa truing stone and Chosera Nagura, total spent around 50 CAD. I must say that I'm quite satisfied with how it works, sure the stone is not ''true'' flat but mostly flat seems works just as fine for me, it gets out of flat after a few strokes anyway. The Chosera nagura gives a nice surface texture to the stones (1000 and up) and I use SiC powder for coarse stones. I bought another diamond plat (DMT D8XX this time) anyway but I don't use it much.

I know these truing stones get a bad reputation around here, and I myself bashed it before using one for real. Anyway...just wanted to share that this flattening solution is not half as bad as some people seem to believe.

Plus, I don't see myself wearing one out any time soon. I rub it from time to time on a cinder block with SiC powder to make sure it stays flat.

There was also a huge plate from Naniwa available, but storage was an issue, probably work really well.

It works when you use it with medium and finer stones in relatively good condition. With severely neglected ones, as once my Chosera 2k, no chance. Haven't used in combination with SiC grit though.
Rinse after using the 220, slurry may be contaminated. That doesn't occur with 600 nagura, the mud it raises is safe.

I find it worked just fine with any stone i tried even shapton glass. With coarse stones and SiC it is faster than a DMT XXC.

I have one of those truing stones that I pretty much only use on my naniwa stones and it does indeed do a more than passable job at keeping them flat enough

I never understood the idea that a flattening stone itself will get dished so dangerously.
Usually 3 or more faces will self-flatten if repeatedly abraded against one another

However, another risk with using flattening stone like the Naniwa
was that some synthetic stones will uptake foreign abrasive materials

IIRC chosera stones maybe are a problem for this, but
where as king stones you can safely flatten with sandpaper (?)

maybe someone correct me If I am wrong
but would be interested to hear the various parts
of the discussion.

I haven't seen any contamination onbky naniwas from this stone's particles. I wouldn't touch a jnat with it tho

Never seen contamination and the truing stone work just fine on chosera and Naniwa Pro. These stones are super hard and won’t shed grit on a waterstone.

To be honest I never noticed any dishing on it but I just rub it on the cinder block just in case, won’t be doing it this winter so I will see.

Back