Naniwa Chosera 3000 cracking?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sealed mine with marine grade lacquer. It would have sealed the interface between the base and the sides. I have had zero cracking (but I don't know whether the sealing is responsible for this or not).

I think this says it all... either remount the chosera corerectly, mount it yourself or buy different stones.

mounting wont really do much ... it will still have water get in ... into the cracks at the top of the stone where your sharpening no?

Mounting and lacquer are from the natural stone world i would say ... lacquer is to protect the side strata from getting water in and mounting is to have a flat surface when sharpening if it wont fit in a stone holder.

My 4k lobster naniwa stone split in half about a month ago. Those cracks eventually go through the stone and will cause it to split.
Im not sure if sealing the sides that arent used for sharpening will help ... because it will leave the water in the stone to dissolve the binder longer. OR to leave it and continue with the cracking issue.
real problem is with my 10K naniwa Chosera ... it has serious cracking ... but i love the stone.

-L

mounting wont really do much ... it will still have water get in ... into the cracks at the top of the stone where your sharpening no?

Mounting and lacquer are from the natural stone world i would say ... lacquer is to protect the side strata from getting water in and mounting is to have a flat surface when sharpening if it wont fit in a stone holder.

My 4k lobster naniwa stone split in half about a month ago. Those cracks eventually go through the stone and will cause it to split.
Im not sure if sealing the sides that arent used for sharpening will help ... because it will leave the water in the stone to dissolve the binder longer. OR to leave it and continue with the cracking issue.
real problem is with my 10K naniwa Chosera ... it has serious cracking ... but i love the stone.

-L
Got my stones, they are mounted against 2 sides with gaps on the other 2 sides as was mentioned here.
They look good.
I think I am going to use them as is, and just rest them on end with a damp towel over them to dry.

I sealed mine with polyfinish (didnt have shellac). Will see what happen, but so far so good.

Yes that will work fine. Make sure the stone is dry when you seal it and put on 4 coats at least, letting it dry in between. Good luck!

That should work just fine.According to what is written on the can it is a Marine grade varnish and a marine grade varnish is what is usually recommended. I'd go with it if it were me.
Thanks!
Yes that will work fine. Make sure the stone is dry when you seal it and put on 4 coats at least, letting it dry in between. Good luck!
Will tape up the tops and go 4 coats.
Thanks!

I did 5 coats of lacquer on my J-Nats and it dried fast between coats. Varnish takes considerably longer but make sure it is totally dry before you add any more coats.

-L

I'm thinking the same! Or maybe there some known unknowns at work here? Maybe the stone dries more evenly or something if water can only evaporate from one single side?

Too bad about your 10k. Thats like 250 bux down the drain. I got my shappro 12k for about 85 €-bux, I have a feeling it will not crack anytime soon. Could be a usable alternative.

if doing lacquer you must make sure its japanese cashew lacquer otherwise the stones will crack from humiliation! trust me.

To be honest the easist way to seal a stone is to just spray it with any type of spray paint from a rattle can. I have Würth clear coat and it dries in 5 minutes :) why make stuff more complicated then they need to be?

I'm thinking the same! Or maybe there some known unknowns at work here? Maybe the stone dries more evenly or something if water can only evaporate from one single side?

Too bad about your 10k. Thats like 250 bux down the drain. I got my shappro 12k for about 85 €-bux, I have a feeling it will not crack anytime soon. Could be a usable alternative.

I'm thinking I'll nail polish 1/2 the stone and see what happens.
All these guys buying Marine Epoxy ... my wife has enough nail polish for me to seal a few dozen stones.

Well I did 3 coats.
Just a question for any of you that did this.
When drying the stone, are you still placing it on its side and covering with a damp cloth?
Thanks!

I am not convinced one way or the other that covering with a damp towel will work or not. It has been recommended in stone descriptions and care by JKI so that is what I do with stones that are prone to cracking if dried to fast and unevenly.With that said,since buying such a stone and a very lovely stone,the Synthetic Natural,it has developed such crack even with extreme care.So I guess there are no guarantees.I would still cover with a damp towel because it just makes good sense to me.

No worry man, the cracking wont affect the perfermance, however, from our experience, the cracking stones have better performance than those will not

Anyone have information to the question on how to mount a stone? I would think a piece of wood rough sanded for glue, you should not soak it anyway. Mist bottle is fine while sharpening on a hard stone like the chosera.

Do you need to prep the stone and what is a good water proof glue. Does epoxy stick to a stone?

This looks like a design flaw based on the various cases I’ve seen. Also, did I understand correctly that Japanese market only sells Based Stones? Interesting

Yes.... and no.

Stone goes on its side, no damp cloth,
I was wondering about it but you are in Aus which is very humid.
If you run A/C then it wouldn't matter.
Canada where I am is not that humid plus with furnace and A/C running most of the year, it's fairly dry in side.

I was wondering about it but you are in Aus which is very humid.
If you run A/C then it wouldn't matter.
Canada where I am is not that humid plus with furnace and A/C running most of the year, it's fairly dry in side.
Like Canada, Australia is a pretty big country. It's not so humid here 400 km from the coast and thousands of km from the tropics. The only aircon we have here is the humble swampy (evap cooler). It's pretty uncommon that it's too humid for it to do the trick up to about 40 degrees. I do wish it worked a bit better on 45 degree days though.

I have the chosera 800, 3k , and 10k with about 20-40 uses(10k the least, 800 the most) for each and haven't seen any cracks yet. I have the mounted japanese versions, only apply water on top, and dry them on their sides.

That being said, seeing this does scare me, especially for 3k and 10k. How are you guys applying the lacquer/varnish? Should I attempt to remove the mount, lacquer/varnish, then remount?

I have the chosera 800, 3k , and 10k with about 20-40 uses(10k the least, 800 the most) for each and haven't seen any cracks yet. I have the mounted japanese versions, only apply water on top, and dry them on their sides.

That being said, seeing this does scare me, especially for 3k and 10k. How are you guys applying the lacquer/varnish? Should I attempt to remove the mount, lacquer/varnish, then remount?
I just taped the top of the stones and used a foam brush to coat the sides. I let them dry 24 hours and repeated for a total of 3 coats. I tried to get more on the bottom 2 sides where there is a gap. I have not used them yet!

maybe we can fill the gaps at the base with some silicone, or fill it with whatever we're using.

maybe we can fill the gaps at the base with some silicone, or fill it with whatever we're using.
I'm just going to place them on their side with the long side gap at the bottom.
They should air out okay.

Back