Naniwa Diamond 400

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madelinez

Catcheside Fanatic
Reaction score
So I bought this a few months back because I had a couple of high carbide knives and was worried conventional stones wouldn't do the job. This is probably the worst sharpening stone I own, and the most expensive synthetic. It's sold as 400 grit but my shapton glass 500 and King hyper 1000 both cut faster. To prove the point I sharpened a friend's cheap stainless knives and I'd say it was 1/3 the speed of the SG500. The feedback/feel is equally awful. The only redeeming thing this stone has going for it is the complete lack of scratches you'd expect from a diamond stone, the scratch pattern is close to a good 1k synthetic, maybe better.

I don't think I could recommend this for any purpose, stick with atoma people. I even have a cheap generic Chinese diamond plate that is better than this (and 1/8th the price).

Only a cheap generic Chinese 1k and 3k that are surprisingly good value, but I suspect they'll wear out quickly.

I would love to try the Gesshin 800 diamond, but it's out of stock and just insanely expensive. I was hoping this Naniwa would essentially be my main stone for repairs/rebevels but given the speed I'll have to stick with the SG500. I hate how quickly low grit stones dish but I guess there's no easy solution.

If anyone wants to buy an almost new Naniwa diamond 400 let me know ;)

i have the atoma 400. and to be honest its not a good stone either. get the 140 or 160 or whatever. all plated daimond stones are hard to use for sharpening. best for stones imo. if they work they create very deep scratches.
i think the dmt 325 is kinda good though.

The Naniwa diamond stones are notorious for having very little diamonds in them and for being good with a handful of alloys that I don't think are very often found here.

Better alternatives are from DMD (a Chinese manufacturer) or Venev (I think from Ukraine). These are both diamond bond mix based and fairly cheap. They do require some maintenance.

How much would you expect to get back? You should try to finish with this, edge leading, if you have good consistency and pressure. Works really nice.

Only a cheap generic Chinese 1k and 3k that are surprisingly good value, but I suspect they'll wear out quickly.

I would love to try the Gesshin 800 diamond, but it's out of stock and just insanely expensive. I was hoping this Naniwa would essentially be my main stone for repairs/rebevels but given the speed I'll have to stick with the SG500. I hate how quickly low grit stones dish but I guess there's no easy solution.

If anyone wants to buy an almost new Naniwa diamond 400 let me know ;)

I've been thinking about my reticence to buy the Gesshin diamond stones and here's what I've come up with. I'm increasingly comfortable with the idea of buying naturals with the same price point, yet somehow flinch at the cost of these. Even though those last a really damn long time and will outlast anything else that I'd buy in that price range. So even though in general I'm a buy and cry once person there's still something about the sticker shock as well as the tactile feedback of the diamonds that keeps me from leaping. (Ignoring the availability) The exact same conversation is had internally over the nanohone plates.

Back