Naniwa Pro Adequate For SG2?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have done a bit of googling and was hoping to hear some feedback from folks who have attempted to use Naniwa Pro/Chosera stones for SG2/R2. I just ordered a Myojin SG2 knife and was hoping I could service it with my Naniwa Pro progression (400, 800, 3000). Being that MTC has the Shapton Glass series on sale I was thinking about picking up a 3 stone progression in that series and was curious if it would serve the SG2 better than the Naniwa Pro?

from my experience, the choseras/pros can sharpen SG2 with no issues.

SG2/R2 is still sharpenable on AlOx up to a certain point, but gets tricky, and kind of cusp-y at higher grits. Pretty easy to sharpen and de-burr on decent AlOx stones around the 600-1000 grit level, like the Naniwa Pro's, Shapton Glass, Suehiro Cerax, etc. Especially if it's thin enough BTE.

However, it gets trickier at higher grits with AlOx. Partly due to somewhat stubborn burr issues, combined with having a vanadium carbide volume that is really cusp-y for AlOx to be able to shape with finer grits that aren't as hard/harder (Or at least bigger, which is how the coarser grits get away with it.) than the carbides themselves. You can get by with ones that are larger than the carbides, but once they are as small or smaller than those carbides, it gets a lot trickier.

Sharpening SG2/R2 reminds me of Aogami Super at high hardness, but not as easy to deburr. If you're using AlOx, it's best that you start with stones in the 600-1000 grit level to actually shape the apex, and then use a finer AlOx stone to create a hybrid edge. Without that initial coarser grit, finer 3-6K+ AlOx stones tend to result in an overly smooth edge on this steel for their grit. Diamonds are a bit more reliable.

Last edited:
Sorry I don’t have experience with Naniwas, but I didn’t have any problems with my Myojin on my SG4000. I think I started with the SG1000 and finished on the SG4000. The OOTB edge was fairly mediocre and benefited from an immediate touchup.

If your Myojin is arriving before the sale ends, I’d suggest just waiting and trying out your current stones first before investing in a new set. Unless you’re looking for an excuse to buy more stones, in which case go for it!

I find them more than adequate.

Deburring is not super easy (unless you use the Kippington deburring method) but is not super hard.

I strop on diamond loaded felt.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a 3k diamond stone to see if that helps at all with the hard carbides in the higher grits.

Seems several of you have success with the combo, good to hear! There seems to be a lot of folks making a comparison of SG2/R2 to VG-10, I guess because they have similar compositions? I have a handful of VG-10 knives (Tojiro) that I have had zero issues sharpening over the years using a myriad of stones. Perhaps that experience will translate to SG2, we will see.

Seems several of you have success with the combo, good to hear! There seems to be a lot of folks making a comparison of SG2/R2 to VG-10, I guess because they have similar compositions? I have a handful of VG-10 knives (Tojiro) that I have had zero issues sharpening over the years using a myriad of stones. Perhaps that experience will translate to SG2, we will see.
I much prefer sharpening SG2 to VG10 in my experience. However might take a bit longer than you are used to because of the vanadium carbides in SG2 but it's really not too bad.

I would agree that SG2 is less frustrating than cheap VG10. I recently did a combo edge on my takamura SG2 with a king Neo 800 and a chosera 3k that has been truly menacing. Overall pretty easy to deal with. The Naniwa pros should have no problem

SG2/R2 is not a problem on Namiwa/Chosera stones. Doesn't have enough Vanadium in it to worry about carbides.

i’m nothing but a newbie hack, but a sg1k/sg4k combo leaves nothing to be desired for the r2 kei kobsyashi laser i use them for. forms a burr very fast. removal is so far, in my case, a question of technique more than stone(s).

Last edited:

If your stones can handle VG10 then for sure they’ll be fine with R2.

Tojiro's VG10 is a lot easier to sharpen - for me - than any of the SG2/R2 I've worked with. I wouldn't compare the two in terms of how they respond to stones. Some VG10 is a pain, but Tojiro's really isn't too bad.

Can't say I had trouble on mine. I do the same as I do with VG10 and other pesky stainless though; I sharpen a bit more aggressive, edge leading with a bit of pressure. A bit like Bob Kramer in his videos. Seems to work better for some reason for me, unlike carbon where I can rub it on a stone in just about any manner.

Naniwa pros works just fine with R2 like others have said.

For me the Tojiro vg10 needed a little more time with deburring compared Tojiros R2. With my technique I got the vg10 only deburred with edge leading when R2 needed just a few edge leading if any on the last stone.

Back