Naniwa Professional (fka Chosera) vs Superstone (5000grit)

Discussion in 'Sharpening Station' started by vk2109, Oct 23, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Oct 23, 2019 #1

vk2109

vk2109

vk2109

Hello i am in the process of replacing a heavily used Suheiro 1000/6000 i had
    with new stones.

I have got the Naniwa Professional (fka Chosera) 1000 grit already but for the 5000 grit
    i am looking i am wondering why such price difference btw the
    Naniwa super stone 5000 ($60) vs the professional 5000 ($150) ?

any recos/feedback ?

Thank you

Vadim

2. Oct 23, 2019 #2

Qapla'

Qapla'

Qapla'

From what I've read, the Naniwa Pro 5000 is considered the weakest of that line. No, don't spend $150 on it.

Have you considered, say, a Morihei 4000 or 6000? From what I'm reading, other possibilities might include an Arashiyama 6000 or a Shapton Glass 6000, depending on what you're looking for.

3. Oct 23, 2019 #3

Benuser

Benuser

Benuser

Supporting Member

The Chosera 5k is indeed to be avoided. Softer than any other, no tactile feedback. The 3k gives an end result of some 4k according to the JIS standard. Highly recommended.

inferno and K813zra like this.
  4. Oct 23, 2019 #4

Michi

Michi

Michi

Supporting Member

Suehiro Rika 5000 is a fine choice, at much lower cost.

podzap, Alder26, adam92 and 5 others like this.
  5. Oct 23, 2019 #5

kayman67

kayman67

kayman67

Hm. This is strange having used the Chosera 5000 plus Miyabi 5000 and Kramer 5000, both being more or less same as Chosera and none seemed soft or bad in any way.
    On the other hand, the defunct resurrected SuperStone 5000 is really soft, albeit capable of a very good polish.

In US you could consider one of the 2 Gesshin 6000 stones, any that you might feel better with.

In EU you could try Rika 5000 or Shapton Glass 6000 HC (even the 4k), both available at great prices.

inferno likes this.
  6. Oct 23, 2019 #6

Scribbled

Scribbled

Scribbled

Sorry for the unhelpful question, I almost bought the Suehiro 1/6000 as my starter stone (got a shapton 1+5K instead) I’m curious how you found it.

7. Oct 23, 2019 #7

inferno

inferno

inferno

In this segment 4-6k i can recommend the shapton glass 4k. very fast and effective. 100% splash and go, dries in like 5 minutes. wears slowly, stays flat. not too expensive.

shapton glass HC 6k (gray stone), definitely takes it up a notch from the 4k, its a fast stone for its grit. polishes like a 8-10-12k or so depending on what you compare it too. this scary sharp territory. splash and go.

I also like the cleancut.se kitayama 4k. it feels nicer than the glass stones, quite easy to cut into if you make a mistake, and its a softer feeling stone, it handles r2 and other powder steels quite well imo. splash and go.

shapton pro 8k. does not polish at all, is very very fast for its grit, feels ok to me at least. quite expensive. splash and go. it can easily follow up after a 1k (the 12k pro can do this too, its that fast). quite a bit overkill on stainless and powder. the 6k HC is too imo.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    kayman67 likes this.
  8. Oct 23, 2019 #8

inferno

inferno

inferno

also all the choseras/naniwa pros are quite prone to cracking. its hit or miss with this series imo. even the low grit ones.

9. Oct 23, 2019 #9

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

+1 for Shapton Glass 4k.

kayman67 likes this.
  10. Oct 23, 2019 #10

kayman67

kayman67

kayman67

It's not only them. Where they had problems, I also saw the same with Shapton and Sigma. Unfortunately. They just usually go first. But slowly as opposed to Sigma, that shatter with a bang, no warning.

11. Oct 23, 2019 #11

gman

gman

gman

i'm surprised to read people saying the naniwa pro 5k is soft. i really enjoy mine and it's harder than anything else i've tried above 3k.

12. Oct 23, 2019 #12

inferno

inferno

inferno

I trust you. shaptons are not for soaking, but me personally i have not seen any spiderwebbing or cracking with mine. and i have many different pros and glass.

I was under the impression that the lower grit choseras were immune to this but my 800 is starting to spiderweb lightly. i spray painted it with clear coat, thick layer to try to combat this. we'll see how it goes. it has never ever been soaked. just used.

13. Oct 23, 2019 #13

kayman67

kayman67

kayman67

Seems like no soaking makes little difference.
    Do you live in a dry environment? That's the only place I saw problems. Exactly the same stones in a different location are fine after many years.

14. Oct 23, 2019 #14

inferno

inferno

inferno

i dont know really. i'm in scandinavia. so its not a jungle or anything but its not a desert either.

podzap likes this.
  15. Oct 24, 2019 #15

Benuser

Benuser

Benuser

Supporting Member

Great to hear. My experience was with the old Chosera. The 5k was softer than anything in the series. My complaint though was the lack of tactile feedback. Had to guess whether a burr had gone. Very different from any other Chosera or the Naniwa Junpaku (Snow-white).

16. Oct 24, 2019 #16

kayman67

kayman67

kayman67

Maybe there was something off with that particular one.

17. Oct 24, 2019 #17

Sharpchef

Sharpchef

Sharpchef

Banned

5k Chosera is the best in the line, feedback etc... fast enough for touchups (the only Synthetik in that grid range....) . But it will get fissures after using sometime.... Like the 10k.... the others (i only have the discs.... don`t get these fissures (they are in the sun in cold weather to dry the whole year, just not in the winter when i pack my grinding machine in the cellar.

Greets Sebastian.

18. Oct 25, 2019 #18

Benuser

Benuser

Benuser

Supporting Member

Maybe it's formula has changed since. The Naniwa Pro series isn't exactly the same as the Chosera.

19. Oct 25, 2019 #19

kayman67

kayman67

kayman67

I'm not talking about the new one.
    But there were a couple of Choseras out there, not sure if they changed anything. One was a bit bigger.
    Anyway, I just took mine out and did a quick run with Hap40. Got a mirror edge back in a couple of minutes. It's one of the hardest 5000/6000 stone. If you are right on the bevel, it's smooth and silent. I moved a bit just to hear the change. Immediately I could feel and hear that I'm not where I should be.

20. Oct 25, 2019 #20

Alder26

Alder26

Alder26

The super stone generally are good, but they are some of the softest synthetics I have used. Additionally they clog relatively quickly. They are good stones but there are much better regarded stones for the same or less money.

21. Oct 25, 2019 #21

inferno

inferno

inferno

i only have the naniwa pros not the actual choseras (about what i wrote earlier up here, just so you know).

ok about the superstones...

alder26:
    This is why they cost like half of the choseras/pros.

i still see that the SS can have some usable applications though. i know stringer on here cut a "fish hook" groove in his 2k to fix blade profiles, he just rubs it in the grove until the profile is good. phucking genious i say! and you cant do that with harder stones at all. since you will never be able to get that groove in there in the first place (easily at least).

I think the SS stones are made softer because they are made for blue and white steel only pretty much and then their dishing resistance is good enough. and they are quite cheap considering. and you also need to condition them often to keep them cutting. but they are cheap. you dont expect to get the "most bestest stones in the entire universe" for this price. personally though, to be honest, shapton pros are in the same price range and they are better. so i would rather get those.

The SS polish much finer than their grit suggests while the shappros dont, at all. and this could also be positive or negative depending on what you want really. is time money for you or not :)

imo there is no real good and bad, its just different applications and uses (and expectations). with that being said. i still feel some stuff is a lot better than some other stuff. ymmv of course.

vk2109 likes this.
  22. Oct 26, 2019 #22

podzap

podzap

podzap

I've got a Naniwa Pro 400, 1000 and 3000. Had them in use now since last winter and no signs of cracking.

When I finish using them, I put them in my dish-drying rack above the sink for a minimum of 12 hours. It's basically a steel mesh bottom so that water can drip out and air can flow in. Finnish invention :)

It has been said repeatedly that they will crack if not properly dried prior to storing. If the drying requirements are too aggravating, then something else should be purchased.

Personally, I love the Naniwa Pros. I've probably got a maximum of 28 years still to live and they will easily last me the rest of my life.

vk2109 likes this.
  23. Oct 26, 2019 #23

Alder26

Alder26

Alder26

The super stones are also extremely homogenous and can be useful for polishing bevels. They will make your hagane extremely bright and reflective

24. Oct 26, 2019 #24

gman

gman

gman

this is true. i have the supers in 8k and 12k, and they can produce a perfect mirror finish, even on soft stainless cladding.