Naniwa Professional (fka Chosera) vs Superstone (5000grit)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just so you know, Shapton stones aren't known for polishing. You basically have the 2 extremes between those 2 stones. Most other stones will fall somewhere in between them.

Good to know 👍

I've read much about the shapton pro 1k being coarser then 1k. Couldn't find much about the 'true grit' of the pro2k, other then one member saying he/she had the feeling the 2k felt about as true 2k.

Something else crossing my mind:
When I searched for bowlingball abrasives long ago, I found out that there are mainly 2 different gritt systems: european (fepa?) and north-american (and micron ofcoarse).

One of the two is coarser then the other, while naming it the same number. There are conversion tables.

Could it be that Naniwa uses the one scale and most brands use the other?

Good to know 👍

I've read much about the shapton pro 1k being coarser then 1k. Couldn't find much about the 'true grit' of the pro2k, other then one member saying he/she had the feeling the 2k felt about as true 2k.
It starts quite aggressively, but leaves a scratch pattern around JIS3k.

Good to know 👍

naniwa or shapton pro? i think my naniwa pro finishes at 3k but my shaptons (the glass too) are 2k start to finish.

naniwa or shapton pro? i think my naniwa pro finishes at 3k but my shaptons (the glass too) are 2k start to finish.

Shapton pro 2k...
As i think of it, I think it was you who said the same in some older topic, not sure...

It starts quite aggressively, but leaves a scratch pattern around JIS3k.

So just out of curiosity, if the shap pro 1k is said to be around 7-800 and their pro 2k is around 3k in your opinion, what would fit in that (huge) gap?
Im not needing it, but their scale seems strange to me.
Does the 1500 really fit in between? On paper the 1500 seems useless when you have the 1k and 2k..

So just out of curiosity, if the shap pro 1k is said to be around 7-800 and their pro 2k is around 3k in your opinion, what would fit in that (huge) gap?
Im not needing it, but their scale seems strange to me.
Does the 1500 really fit in between? On paper the 1500 seems useless when you have the 1k and 2k..
The gap isn't that huge. It was about the Naniwa Pro /Chosera 2k I said, it delivers at the end a JIS3k pattern. But it starts aggressively. The gap is between the end result of the Shapton Pro 1k and the starting grit of the Naniwa Pro 2k. Nothing to worry about. I've made much wider jumps, as 500-3k. If you take the time needed to deburr as much as possible with the first stone, it should be no problem.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back