Naniwa ss 220

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicv

Reaction score
Hi all. When I first got into free hand sharpening this and a king 1k/6k were my first stones. Then a year ago I bought the naniwa green brick. Still can't sharpen worth a damn most times:) the point to my thread is does anyone have experience with the 220? I personally find it to be very slow and not very nice to use. What I want to know is if it's my technique or if just not a very good stone as its the only coarse one I've used so I have nothing to compare it too. Last night trying to sharpen a soft carbon chef knife that was very dull but after 30 minutes I gave up for the night as it was going so slow. I was getting a nice even grind on both sides of the knife but getting them to meet in the middle was taking forever. And to clarify this is a very easy to grind steel. I've sharpened it before when the edge has gotten to this state(it's my dad's knife) and two passes each side on a fresh 120 grit zircon belt has raised a burr. But 30 minutes on a 220 grit stone hasn't. Thanks

I guess that answers it. No one seems to have used this stone

Hey sorry I have not used that stone. But I use the naniwa ss : 400, 1k , 3k , 5k

I don't have trouble with them being slow at all . The 400 can reprofile the edge very quickly.

I know this doesn't help much, hopefully someone chimes in that has used the stone.

Try to raise the angle a little bit see if you get better results.

the Naniwa SS stones are fast cutters. i use them.

Ok thanks. This is the only ss I have but it's about the same speed as a 1k king. Rush thank you for the advice but I'm trying to thin the knife a bit not cut a thick bevel

I can't stand the feel of diamond stones. I'll just keep using the belt grinder. Thanks

Ya. I run the belts wet without gloves and constantly check for heat. Usually two passes then dip and leave blade wet. A bit messy but I find they cut better and blade stays cool. I got a blue spot once one the first times I ever used it. Now I use it wet and got belts made to be used wet so no problem

Back