Nanohone impressions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'd rather buy 12 stones for 900!
A perfectly reasonable option especially if you like stones and want to try different types or just want to spend money over time. I am just glad people like @Deadboxhero, practical.sharpening (@M-S-T I believe, apologies if I am wrong) keep on pushing the boundaries and give us options. For a pro sharpener or someone like me that has all sorts of steels and doesn't see sharpening as a hobby, but a means to an end, buying 2 expensive stones that will last for a very long time and don't need too much work to keep in fighting shape makes more sense.

Last edited:
practical sharpening are realy less expensive than what I seen on BBB websit. But practical sharpening websit is not updated. For price and aviability just email Karolis Griskevicius.
Some info here : Diamond stones
I just love the 2k vitrified from practical sharpening. I never tried super vitrified diamond from BBB.

i cant find any vitrified diamond on the practical sharpening site!

btw what is the approximate prices for a full sized vit D from practical sharpening?

This has been a helpful thread. Getting ready to take the vitrified diamond plunge I think.

The thread has drifted quite far from the shore, but I have some more impressions of the Nanohone stones, and where better to put them than this thread?

Not about the 200, alas. I haven't had thinning to do. Actually, I've been honing razors, and the only time you would use a 200 stone on a razor would be if it were not actually shaped like a razor already.

The 400 is slightly more thirsty than the Shapton Glass 500 (but what is not), wears faster, and is considerably faster. It took care of some serious divots in the edge of my very-hard-steel razor in about 1/3 of the strokes that the SG500 would have needed. I was impressed.

The 1000 is surprisingly different from the others in the line. It is very thirsty, makes slurry very readily, and is a delightful playing-in-the-mud experience. I like it a lot. If you were going to buy one Nanohone, I'd suggest this one. Fast, too.

The 3000 is very different, a creamy-feeling stone that is not thirsty at all, quite decently fast. It did a great job getting some nice thin lines onto my razor bevel that I could see in my microscope, preparing me to move into JNat territory.

I'm feeling quite good about this Nanohone line, and I retract what I said about maybe selling them. I want these around.

The thread has drifted quite far from the shore, but I have some more impressions of the Nanohone stones, and where better to put them than this thread?

Not about the 200, alas. I haven't had thinning to do. Actually, I've been honing razors, and the only time you would use a 200 stone on a razor would be if it were not actually shaped like a razor already.

The 400 is slightly more thirsty than the Shapton Glass 500 (but what is not), wears faster, and is considerably faster. It took care of some serious divots in the edge of my very-hard-steel razor in about 1/3 of the strokes that the SG500 would have needed. I was impressed.

The 1000 is surprisingly different from the others in the line. It is very thirsty, makes slurry very readily, and is a delightful playing-in-the-mud experience. I like it a lot. If you were going to buy one Nanohone, I'd suggest this one. Fast, too.

The 3000 is very different, a creamy-feeling stone that is not thirsty at all, quite decently fast. It did a great job getting some nice thin lines onto my razor bevel that I could see in my microscope, preparing me to move into JNat territory.

I'm feeling quite good about this Nanohone line, and I retract what I said about maybe selling them. I want these around.
Wow! When I tried them out in the "old formulation" the 400 and 1k would load without using heavy pressure. Which was nice for making things shiny. But not so much sharpening a lot.

The newer formulations are much much better. I’ve got the 400,1000 and 6000 of the newer formulation and they are wonderful. Aside from a coticule, one jnat and a nostalgic King or two it’s all I use if I’m not using diamonds of some sort. Admittedly it’s usually diamonds but for my blue #1 stuff or my TF w#1 the Nanohones are as good as I could ask for.

The fact that they are the only line I’ve kept aside from all my diamond stuff is a strong commendation to me ;)

The newer formulations are much much better. I’ve got the 400,1000 and 6000 of the newer formulation and they are wonderful. Aside from a coticule, one jnat and a nostalgic King or two it’s all I use if I’m not using diamonds of some sort. Admittedly it’s usually diamonds but for my blue #1 stuff or my TF w#1 the Nanohones are as good as I could ask for.

The fact that they are the only line I’ve kept aside from all my diamond stuff is a strong commendation to me ;)
I'm curious, can you briefly explain where you see the advantages of Nanohone over Shapton, i.e. in comparison?

Happy to, they seem to have similar cutting power to the Shaptons (slightly less than the Glass maybe) but being larger in depth than the glass and providing better feel/tactile feedback. They have a slightly tactile or soft feeling to them where the Shaptons are typically very hard and firm feeling. You can gouge the Nanohones easier than the Shaptons. Also I really like how the Nanohones are all mounted to metal plates and labeled on the plates as to what they are so they are all the same color. Makes it easier to see what’s happening on the stone when it’s a creamy white color. The Shapton Glass don’t have this issue but the Pros can depending on the stone color like the darker colors of some of them make it a bit less visible regarding what’s going on.

Happy to, they seem to have similar cutting power to the Shaptons (slightly less than the Glass maybe) but being larger in depth than the glass and providing better feel/tactile feedback. They have a slightly tactile or soft feeling to them where the Shaptons are typically very hard and firm feeling. You can gouge the Nanohones easier than the Shaptons. Also I really like how the Nanohones are all mounted to metal plates and labeled on the plates as to what they are so they are all the same color. Makes it easier to see what’s happening on the stone when it’s a creamy white color. The Shapton Glass don’t have this issue but the Pros can depending on the stone color like the darker colors of some of them make it a bit less visible regarding what’s going on.
That these are the only advantages of the Nanohones compared to Shapton calms me down.

Then, for myself, I don't see sufficient reason for the Nanohones. Thank you for the direct comparison.

Agree with these takes on them, yeah if you already have a full collection of Shapton stuff there really isn't a need for these unless you really want more feedback/feeling and or want to try something new. That said, if someone was new to sharpening and hadn't tried either yet I would recommend these over Shapton every time given that they do have more feedback and feeling and I find that nice for learning or practicing on plus the uniform white/cream color makes it easier to see things which matters more for newer folks as well.

That said, yup they are similar to the Glass but yet distinctly different at the same time. I have long been a fan of the Shapton stones (Glass and Pro/Kuromaku) and honestly still am but find these better for my needs/uses overall :)

Aaaaah yes... INvaluable. Sorry. Kind of errors I can make.
"Invaluable" is very weird, being a negative word that usually means something good.

Calling someone "valuable" should maybe be an insult, but somehow it isn't. ("We can definitely assign a price to how good you are" is a compliment??)

Latest posts

Back